Configuring Fedora as part of a network with windows machines - Help

This is a discussion on Configuring Fedora as part of a network with windows machines - Help ; I'm installing a Fedora Core 1 based machine into an existing network of Windows machines. The network configuration includes a number of Win 95, Win 98, Win NT, Win 2000, and Win XP machines. Many of the machines come and ...

  1. Configuring Fedora as part of a network with windows machines

    I'm installing a Fedora Core 1 based machine into an existing network
    of Windows machines. The network configuration includes a number of
    Win 95, Win 98, Win NT, Win 2000, and Win XP machines. Many of the
    machines come and go depending on current projects. The existing
    machines are all connected to a LinkSys Router configured as a DHCP
    server that, in turn, provides access to the Internet for all the
    machines.

    I installed Fedora from a DVD that came with "The Complete Reference,
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux & Fedora Edition", Osborne, RIchard Petersen
    and Ibrahim Haddad. The install went cleanly with no apparent events.

    From the new Fedora machine, F1, I can access the Internet via
    Mozilla, ping various Internet sites by name, etc. All seems well
    relative to the Internet. Unfortunately, from F1, while I'm able to
    ping the existing Win machines by IP address, I can not ping them by
    name (get an "unknown host" error message). Additionally, when I do a
    "net view" from the Win machines, I do not see F1, the Fedora machine.
    I am, however, able to ping it from any of the Win machines by IP.
    The Linksys DHCP active IP table shows all the machine names,
    including the Fedora F1 machine, and their IPs.

    I'm rather inexperienced in this area and despite looking on the net
    and elsewhere remain more than a little confused. Is this behavior
    expected? Should I, in fact, be able to see the Fedora machine with
    Net View, ping the Fedora F1 machine by name from Win, and ping the
    Win machines from F1 by name?

    My original intent was to install Samba to allow file and printer
    sharing between the systems. I'm a bit reluctant to proceed any
    further absent confidence that the network is able to resolve by name.

    I'm also unclear about the need to install a DNS, Wins, etc on the
    Fedora box given that the existing network is able to resolve machines
    by name.

    I'd appreciate any pointers.

  2. Re: Configuring Fedora as part of a network with windows machines

    > relative to the Internet. Unfortunately, from F1, while I'm able to
    > ping the existing Win machines by IP address, I can not ping them by
    > name (get an "unknown host" error message). Additionally, when I do a

    Your network is apparently working perfectly. In general, on an SMB
    network (which is what all the Win machines are running), names are
    not resolved by DNS, but rather through a maze of kludges and
    guesswork. Linux - sans samba - only uses DNS to resolve names.

    When you install samba, you will be able to see the Linux box in "net
    view" on one of the Win boxes, and not before. [The NET VIEW command
    only lists servers on an SMB network anyway (unless you've got
    additional software installed, e.g. NCP client), so why were you
    expecting to see your Linux box anyway?]

    I think you will still not be able to ping the Win boxes by name from
    the Linux box, though. This is irrelevant - when you "mount
    //windows-pc/sharename /mountpoint", smbmount will do its own name
    resolution.

  3. Re: Configuring Fedora as part of a network with windows machines

    Thanks Lewin for responding. I've been out of town for several weeks
    and am only now returning to this. I'll proceed as you indicated and
    hopefully all will be well.

    On 2 May 2004 08:18:32 -0700, larwe@larwe.com (Lewin A.R.W. Edwards)
    wrote:

    >> relative to the Internet. Unfortunately, from F1, while I'm able to
    >> ping the existing Win machines by IP address, I can not ping them by
    >> name (get an "unknown host" error message). Additionally, when I do a

    >Your network is apparently working perfectly. In general, on an SMB
    >network (which is what all the Win machines are running), names are
    >not resolved by DNS, but rather through a maze of kludges and
    >guesswork. Linux - sans samba - only uses DNS to resolve names.
    >
    >When you install samba, you will be able to see the Linux box in "net
    >view" on one of the Win boxes, and not before. [The NET VIEW command
    >only lists servers on an SMB network anyway (unless you've got
    >additional software installed, e.g. NCP client), so why were you
    >expecting to see your Linux box anyway?]
    >
    >I think you will still not be able to ping the Win boxes by name from
    >the Linux box, though. This is irrelevant - when you "mount
    >//windows-pc/sharename /mountpoint", smbmount will do its own name
    >resolution.

+ Reply to Thread