Sync out of range - Help

This is a discussion on Sync out of range - Help ; Dual boot PC with GRUB loading XP Home (default) and SuSe 9.0 Personal. When trying to load SuSe, "Sync out of Range" message blips across the screen. Boot in Linux Safe mode grants text access no problems. Logged in as ...

  1. Sync out of range

    Dual boot PC with GRUB loading XP Home (default) and SuSe 9.0
    Personal.
    When trying to load SuSe, "Sync out of Range" message blips across the
    screen. Boot in Linux Safe mode grants text access no problems.
    Logged in as root, tried to configure using XF86Config but at the end,
    I get "Failed to open filename for writing".

    Using:
    Proc: Athlon 2500+
    VC: Radeon 9500
    MOBO: abit NF7-S (nVidia-nForce2) 1.X
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 03/17/2003
    RAM: 1 GB

    Any guesses?

  2. Re: Sync out of range

    Marc wrote:

    > When trying to load SuSe, "Sync out of Range" message blips across the

    .... a frequency entry (horiz or vert) in /etc/X11/XF86Config[-4]
    files is beyond the range that the monitor can support.

    > screen.**Boot*in*Linux*Safe*mode*grants*text*acces s*no*problems.*
    > Logged in as root, tried to configure using XF86Config but at the end,
    > I get "Failed to open filename for writing".

    get the horiz and vert frequency ranges for your monitor and
    in the /etc/X11/XF86Config[-4] file, put 'em in this section:

    Section "Monitor"
    DisplaySize 360 270
    HorizSync 30-96 <<<<<<<<-------------
    Identifier "Monitor[0]"
    ModelName "M990"
    Option "DPMS"
    VendorName "DELL"
    VertRefresh 50-160 <<<<<<<<-------------
    UseModes "Modes[0]"
    EndSection
    Westheimer's Discovery: A couple of months in the laboratory
    can frequently save a couple of hours in the library.

  3. Re: Sync out of range

    > screen. Boot in Linux Safe mode grants text access no problems.
    > Logged in as root, tried to configure using XF86Config but at the end,
    > I get "Failed to open filename for writing".

    I don't know how "safe" mode works in SuSE, but in other distros it
    leaves / mounted readonly. mount -n -o remount,rw / to write.

+ Reply to Thread