Network Printer help: Use a Shared Printer on a WinXP machine - Help

This is a discussion on Network Printer help: Use a Shared Printer on a WinXP machine - Help ; Hello, I am new to Linux. I have the Slackware flavor installed, version 9.1. I am trying to use a shared printer on a Windows XP machine. I have verified that I can access the machine (ADDIE) through the network ...

  1. Network Printer help: Use a Shared Printer on a WinXP machine

    Hello, I am new to Linux. I have the Slackware flavor installed,
    version 9.1. I am trying to use a shared printer on a Windows XP
    machine. I have verified that I can access the machine (ADDIE)
    through the network with:

    smb://Addie

    in Konqueror (Note: THis requires a USername/Password). I do have
    CUPS installed. I tried adding the printer with the CUPS "Add
    Printer" method. Below is the infomation I added:

    Name: Addie's Printer
    Location: //Addie

    Device: Unknown Network Device(smb)

    Device URL: smb://Addie/HPSC950

    Make: HP

    Model: HP PSC 950, Foomatic + hpijs (recommended) (en)

    Added Successfully

    Tried Printing test page

    Note: I am not even sure if this is the correct path for the result I
    want. I every user on the Linux machine to be able to use this
    printer with little or no initial setup on their part. Any help woul
    dbe appreciated, even if it involves other approaches.

    Aaron

  2. Re: Network Printer help: Use a Shared Printer on a WinXP machine

    "Aaron" wrote in message
    news:a6e2e737.0404301711.5e7f3a4d@posting.google.c om...
    > Hello, I am new to Linux. I have the Slackware flavor installed,
    > version 9.1. I am trying to use a shared printer on a Windows XP
    > machine. I have verified that I can access the machine (ADDIE)
    > through the network with:
    >
    > smb://Addie
    >
    > in Konqueror (Note: THis requires a USername/Password). I do have
    > CUPS installed. I tried adding the printer with the CUPS "Add
    > Printer" method. Below is the infomation I added:
    >

    > Name: Addie's Printer
    > Location: //Addie
    >

    > Device: Unknown Network Device(smb)
    >

    > Device URL: smb://Addie/HPSC950
    >

    > Make: HP
    >

    > Model: HP PSC 950, Foomatic + hpijs (recommended) (en)
    >

    > Added Successfully
    >
    > Tried Printing test page
    >
    > Note: I am not even sure if this is the correct path for the result I
    > want. I every user on the Linux machine to be able to use this
    > printer with little or no initial setup on their part. Any help woul
    > dbe appreciated, even if it involves other approaches.
    >
    > Aaron

    Hi,
    I have a similar setup. I think you need to look at Samba which enables file
    and printer sharing between Linux and winxx machines. Mind you I'm not a
    guru and its been a long time since I set the stuff up.

  3. Re: Network Printer help: Use a Shared Printer on a WinXP machine

    Sorry, I forgot to mention that. Samba is working. Using Konqueror I
    can enter smb://Addie and see the shares on the comp. Additional
    information: The computer is part of a domain (flecks.us).

    Aaron
    ----------
    > Hi,
    > I have a similar setup. I think you need to look at Samba which enables file
    > and printer sharing between Linux and winxx machines. Mind you I'm not a
    > guru and its been a long time since I set the stuff up.

  4. Re: Network Printer help: Use a Shared Printer on a WinXP machine

    Sorry, I forgot to mention that. Samba is working. Using Konqueror I
    can enter smb://Addie and see the shares on the comp. Additional
    information: The computer is part of a domain (flecks.us).

    Aaron
    ----------
    > Hi,
    > I have a similar setup. I think you need to look at Samba which enables file
    > and printer sharing between Linux and winxx machines. Mind you I'm not a
    > guru and its been a long time since I set the stuff up.

  5. Re: Network Printer help: Use a Shared Printer on a WinXP machine

    Aaron wrote:
    > Sorry, I forgot to mention that. Samba is working. Using Konqueror I
    > can enter smb://Addie and see the shares on the comp. Additional
    > information: The computer is part of a domain (flecks.us).
    >
    > Aaron
    > ----------
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>I have a similar setup. I think you need to look at Samba which enables file
    >>and printer sharing between Linux and winxx machines. Mind you I'm not a
    >>guru and its been a long time since I set the stuff up.

    On the Windows side did you give sharing permission to Addie's printer?

    I have two WinXP printers on remote machines and had this problem until
    I shared them (gave the share command as administrator on the WinXP
    machines).

    HTH

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread