help: wireless USB network adapter - Help

This is a discussion on help: wireless USB network adapter - Help ; a cursory search shows: http://store.yahoo.com/directron/kwb3111.html anyhow, looking for pointers on this topic please. I run fedora core one on a fairly new (albeit cheap) computer. june 1, 2004 i'll have the internet, but before that i need to get a ...

  1. help: wireless USB network adapter

    a cursory search shows:
    http://store.yahoo.com/directron/kwb3111.html

    anyhow, looking for pointers on this topic please. I run fedora core
    one on a fairly new (albeit cheap) computer.

    june 1, 2004 i'll have the internet, but before that i need to get a
    driver for a cheap USB adapter. getting and installing the driver is
    the hard part, for me. I've set my mind on USB versus an internal
    NIC. (did I use the term correctly?)

    thanks,

    javac@mail.com

  2. Re: help: wireless USB network adapter

    > anyhow, looking for pointers on this topic please. I run fedora core
    > one on a fairly new (albeit cheap) computer.

    There is no info on that page about what chipset is in the adapter. A
    couple of chipsets are very poorly supported in Linux, the Zynos chip
    is one of them, and if that particular device uses the Zynos chip
    you're kinda SOL.

    Of currently produced adapters, I like the Linksys WUSB12
    (Prism-based), which works very well. It is more expensive, though.
    The cheapest well-supported adapter I'm aware of is the Xterasys
    XN-2122B (Atmel-based), which is between $30-$35 from most sources.

    The Netgear MA111 (Prism) also works well, but it doesn't have a
    "poseable" antenna, so gets slightly lower marks.

  3. Re: help: wireless USB network adapter

    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards wrote:

    >> anyhow, looking for pointers on this topic please. I run fedora core
    >> one on a fairly new (albeit cheap) computer.

    > There is no info on that page about what chipset is in the adapter. A
    > couple of chipsets are very poorly supported in Linux, the Zynos chip
    > is one of them, and if that particular device uses the Zynos chip
    > you're kinda SOL.
    >
    > Of currently produced adapters, I like the Linksys WUSB12
    > (Prism-based), which works very well. It is more expensive, though.

    I'll second that. I wanted a USB wireless adapter so I could use it with
    desktop computers in my house as well, if I decided to set up one in
    another room besides the one I have my DSL in (which I've done a few times
    before, for various reasons).

    So I checked the wlan-ng website (at http://www.linux-wlan.com), found the
    ones they had in their list, and went and checked prices. The Linksys
    WUSB12 was $40 at the local Best Buy.

    Be warned that version 0.2.0, which is the current "stable" version, of
    wlan-ng doesn't support the WUSB12. You'll need to get and compile the
    most recent prerelease of 0.2.1, unless Fedora is including a pre-release
    version already. Or at least, so it said on the mailing lists. I compiled
    it on Debian. It was fairly easy there, but I don't know how Fedora
    packages their kernel source, and you'll need a kernel source tree to
    compile it, most likely.

    So far I've used the WUSB12 on my desktop at home (just to see if I could)
    and on my laptop at home, Starbucks, Borders, and a convention center.
    I've only had it a bit over a week, but it's worked well for me. At home,
    going from it to my desktop, I got transfer speeds moving a large file back
    and forth with scp ranging from about 50 KB/s to almost 500 KB/s, depending
    on where in the house I had it.

    --
    ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey
    /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
    |,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
    '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

  4. Re: help: wireless USB network adapter

    > > Of currently produced adapters, I like the Linksys WUSB12
    > > (Prism-based), which works very well. It is more expensive, though.

    > Be warned that version 0.2.0, which is the current "stable" version, of
    > wlan-ng doesn't support the WUSB12. You'll need to get and compile the
    > most recent prerelease of 0.2.1, unless Fedora is including a pre-release

    I am running with 0.2.1pre16, which is not the latest, but is entirely
    plug-n-play - I didn't even need to hack in any VID/PID information.

    The only problem I have with this driver/adapter combo is that here at
    work there is someone on the floor above with an open AP running on
    channel 6. I've got our work AP configured for channel 11, but I can't
    find a way to _force_ the WUSB12 to associate with our AP. Seems like
    as soon as you plug in the WUSB12, it searches for and attempts to
    associate with the first AP it can find, even before the driver loads.

    For a while I was fighting the owner of the ch6 AP - I kept turning on
    WEP on his AP and remotely rebooting it so that my devices wouldn't
    associate with that AP. I was hoping he would block my MAC address.
    Unfortunately he eventually worked out how to change the password on
    his AP...

  5. Re: help: wireless USB network adapter

    Oh yes, one other thing I forgot:

    > version already. Or at least, so it said on the mailing lists. I compiled
    > it on Debian. It was fairly easy there, but I don't know how Fedora
    > packages their kernel source, and you'll need a kernel source tree to
    > compile it, most likely.

    wlan-ng didn't compile out-of-box for me on FC1. It really wants a
    kernel source tree _including .config_. Also I had to manually go into
    src/mkmeta and run make to generate some required headers before the
    driver would build correctly.

  6. Re: help: wireless USB network adapter

    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards wrote:

    > Oh yes, one other thing I forgot:
    >
    >> version already. Or at least, so it said on the mailing lists. I
    >> compiled
    >> it on Debian. It was fairly easy there, but I don't know how Fedora
    >> packages their kernel source, and you'll need a kernel source tree to
    >> compile it, most likely.

    > wlan-ng didn't compile out-of-box for me on FC1. It really wants a
    > kernel source tree _including .config_. Also I had to manually go into
    > src/mkmeta and run make to generate some required headers before the
    > driver would build correctly.

    On Debian, I downloaded the kernel source and kernel image source packages,
    copied the kernel config for the kernel I run to the kernel source tree,
    ran make xconfig and selected that config file, ran make dep to make the
    header files, and had to edit the version.h header to have the same string
    as my running kernel.

    Hopefully it'll get easier with 2.6 kernels, which are supposed to have
    better support for compiling modules indepedently of the kernel.

    --
    ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey
    /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.

  7. Re: help: wireless USB network adapter

    hey, thanks for the input, everyone

    how about this adapter? nvidia has the driver....(?)
    http://www.x-micro.com/wlan-usb.htm

    thanks,

    javac@mail.com

+ Reply to Thread