Files disappear in Windows 2000 FAT32 when created with Linux (SUSE 9.0) - Help

This is a discussion on Files disappear in Windows 2000 FAT32 when created with Linux (SUSE 9.0) - Help ; Hello, I use Windows and Linux parallel on a Laptop. The Windows-MyFiles Folder is located on a FAT32 partition. Under Linux I have a symbolic Link to that for easy access. When I create Files under Linux in the FAT32 ...

  1. Files disappear in Windows 2000 FAT32 when created with Linux (SUSE 9.0)

    Hello,

    I use Windows and Linux parallel on a Laptop. The Windows-MyFiles
    Folder is located on a FAT32 partition. Under Linux I have a symbolic
    Link to that for easy access.
    When I create Files under Linux in the FAT32 folder, they disappear
    under Windows. Afterwards, if I create Files under Windows in the same
    folder, the Linux created Files are even deleted. If I don't change
    anything under Windows in the Folder I can at least access the files
    again in Linux.

    Has anyone an explanation for this? Perhaps even a solution?
    Thanks.

    Jetstream

  2. Re: Files disappear in Windows 2000 FAT32 when created with Linux (SUSE 9.0)

    jetstream wrote:

    > folder, the Linux created Files are even deleted. If I don't change
    > anything under Windows in the Folder I can at least access the files
    > again in Linux.

    .... let's have a look at your /etc/fstab file
    ..
    Half Moon tonight. (At least it's better than no Moon at all.)

  3. Re: Files disappear in Windows 2000 FAT32 when created with Linux (SUSE 9.0)

    This would be expected if, for example, you did not unmount the FAT32
    partition properly. When you write to a filesystem in Linux, the file is
    not necessarily committed to disk right away -- the change resides in the
    filesystem cache. It's only when you unmount the filesystem that all of
    those changes are guaranteed to be committed (or, if you mount the
    filesystem with the 'sync' mount option).

    --
    remove .spam from address to reply by e-mail.

+ Reply to Thread