SSH help - Help

This is a discussion on SSH help - Help ; I'm running Slackware 9.1 with an unmodified kernel on two machines; they're on a LAN. I often ssh in and out of both boxes, using scp to transfer files between the two. I'd like to play the files on box ...

  1. SSH help

    I'm running Slackware 9.1 with an unmodified kernel on two machines; they're
    on a LAN. I often ssh in and out of both boxes, using scp to transfer files
    between the two.

    I'd like to play the files on box 2 from box 1, though; they're avi files.
    files over the LAN. Something like mplayer | ssh -l blah blah ..., but I don't
    know how to.

    Any help is appreciated.

    Naota Hashimoto
    --
    naSota@tPampabay.rAr.cMom - > (remove 'S P A M')

  2. Re: SSH help

    Naota Hashimoto wrote:>
    > I'd like to play the files on box 2 from box 1, though; they're avi files.
    > files over the LAN. Something like mplayer | ssh -l blah blah ..., but I don't
    > know how to.

    just ssh into box2 and play the files however you like from box1.
    X11 forwarding should be active by default. if not then 'ssh -X' into box2.
    you should be able to use any X app on box2 from box1, even mplayer.

    --
    Woolsey-Swanson Rule:
    People would rather live with a problem they cannot solve

    remove '.eh' to email

  3. Re: SSH help

    On 2004-04-22, johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > just ssh into box2 and play the files however you like from box1.
    > X11 forwarding should be active by default. if not then 'ssh -X' into box2.
    > you should be able to use any X app on box2 from box1, even mplayer.

    I'll give it a shot, but box 2 is very old. It's only value is it's 30 gig
    hdd and ethernet card. It doesn't even have sound. I was hoping to just use
    the files on box 2 on box 1.

    Thanks,
    Naota Hashimoto
    --
    naSota@tPampabay.rAr.cMom - > (remove 'S P A M')

  4. Re: SSH help

    Naota Hashimoto wrote:
    > I'll give it a shot, but box 2 is very old. It's only value is it's 30 gig
    > hdd and ethernet card. It doesn't even have sound. I was hoping to just use
    > the files on box 2 on box 1.

    then why not just export the files on box2 with NFS or even SMB. then
    you can mount box2 files on box1. and use them anyway you wish.

    --
    Woolsey-Swanson Rule:
    People would rather live with a problem they cannot solve
    than accept a solution they cannot understand.

    remove '.eh' to email

  5. Re: SSH help

    Naota Hashimoto wrote:

    > I'm running Slackware 9.1 with an unmodified kernel on two machines;
    > they're
    > on a LAN. I often ssh in and out of both boxes, using scp to transfer
    > files between the two.
    >
    > I'd like to play the files on box 2 from box 1, though; they're avi files.
    > files over the LAN. Something like mplayer | ssh -l blah blah ..., but I
    > don't know how to.

    Assuming the name of the other machine is box2 and the file
    is /home/joe/somefile.avi, you could do:

    ssh box2 "cat /home/joe/somefile.avi" | mplayer -

    I'm not sure if that will work with multiple files, but you could try it and
    see. Note that you won't be able to skip forward or back in them, though,
    since they're being streamed across.

    Note that this works for lots of other sorts of commands as well. E.g., one
    can do:

    ssh box2 "cd /some/directory ; tar czf - ." | tar xzpf -

    to tar up a directory remotely, shunt it across the network, and rebuild it
    here, transparently zipping and unzipping it in the process.

    --
    ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey
    /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
    |,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
    '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

  6. Re: SSH help

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Naota Hashimoto wrote:

    >> I'd like to play the files on box 2 from box 1, though; they're avi
    >> files.
    >> files over the LAN. Something like mplayer | ssh -l blah blah ..., but I
    >> don't know how to.
    >>

    > just ssh into box2 and play the files however you like from box1.
    > X11 forwarding should be active by default. if not then 'ssh -X' into
    > box2. you should be able to use any X app on box2 from box1, even mplayer.

    That's probably not going to work well, unless he has a *really* fast
    network... he'll essentially be sending an uncompressed video screen from
    box2 to box1... and encrypting it to boot if he's doing X tunneled through
    ssh.

    --
    ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey
    /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
    |,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
    '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

  7. Re: SSH help

    On 2004-04-23, Travis Casey wrote:
    > Assuming the name of the other machine is box2 and the file
    > is /home/joe/somefile.avi, you could do:
    >
    > ssh box2 "cat /home/joe/somefile.avi" | mplayer -
    >
    > I'm not sure if that will work with multiple files, but you could try it and
    > see. Note that you won't be able to skip forward or back in them, though,
    > since they're being streamed across.
    >
    > Note that this works for lots of other sorts of commands as well. E.g., one
    > can do:
    >
    > ssh box2 "cd /some/directory ; tar czf - ." | tar xzpf -
    >
    > to tar up a directory remotely, shunt it across the network, and rebuild it
    > here, transparently zipping and unzipping it in the process.

    You taught me a lot, and the ssh with mplayer command you showed me works
    perfectly. I don't understand the dash ( - ) in those commands, though. I've
    seen it used at the end of commands, like what you showed me with mplayer, but
    you used it after czf with tar. What's its importance, sensei?

    Naota Hashimoto
    --
    naSota@tPampabay.rAr.cMom - > (remove 'S P A M')

  8. Re: SSH help

    Naota Hashimoto wrote:
    >>ssh box2 "cd /some/directory ; tar czf - ." | tar xzpf -
    >>
    >>to tar up a directory remotely, shunt it across the network, and rebuild it
    >>here, transparently zipping and unzipping it in the process.

    > You taught me a lot, and the ssh with mplayer command you showed me works
    > perfectly. I don't understand the dash ( - ) in those commands, though. I've
    > seen it used at the end of commands, like what you showed me with mplayer, but
    > you used it after czf with tar. What's its importance, sensei?
    >
    > Naota Hashimoto

    In this case it tells tar to use stdin as the source.
    Normally the you identify the filename of the tarfile with
    the -f option, like this:

    tar -xz -f tarfile.tar

    or simply:

    tar -xzf tarfile.tar

    Putting a '-' after the '-f' option tells tar to use stdin
    for the tarfile to read.

  9. Re: SSH help

    On 2004-04-23, Kevin D. Snodgrass wrote:
    >>>ssh box2 "cd /some/directory ; tar czf - ." | tar xzpf -
    >>>
    >>>to tar up a directory remotely, shunt it across the network, and rebuild it
    >>>here, transparently zipping and unzipping it in the process.

    >> You taught me a lot, and the ssh with mplayer command you showed me works
    >> perfectly. I don't understand the dash ( - ) in those commands, though. I've
    >> seen it used at the end of commands, like what you showed me with mplayer, but
    >> you used it after czf with tar. What's its importance, sensei?
    >>
    >> Naota Hashimoto

    > In this case it tells tar to use stdin as the source.
    > Normally the you identify the filename of the tarfile with
    > the -f option, like this:
    >
    > tar -xz -f tarfile.tar
    >
    > or simply:
    >
    > tar -xzf tarfile.tar
    >
    > Putting a '-' after the '-f' option tells tar to use stdin
    > for the tarfile to read.

    Thanks. I understand now. I also had to use - to get xv to work over
    ssh the same way mplayer does.

    --
    naSota@tPampabay.rAr.cMom - > (remove 'S P A M')

+ Reply to Thread