What's a WP bit? - Help

This is a discussion on What's a WP bit? - Help ; I've hit a wall with my ZipSlack test installation. In the boot process the following error occurs: Checking if this processor honours the WP bit even in supervisor mode... No. Kernel panic: This kernel doesn't support CPU's with broken WP. ...

  1. What's a WP bit?

    I've hit a wall with my ZipSlack test installation. In the boot process the
    following error occurs:

    Checking if this processor honours the WP bit even in supervisor mode... No.
    Kernel panic: This kernel doesn't support CPU's with broken WP. Recompile it
    for a 386!
    In idle task - not syncing.

    I asked about why this was happening in a Slackware ng, as ZipSlack is
    supposed to be compiled for a 386 according to the ZipSlack page. My
    question here is what is a WP Bit? Google isn't giving up any anwers.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: What's a WP bit?

    > Checking if this processor honours the WP bit even in supervisor mode... No.
    > Kernel panic: This kernel doesn't support CPU's with broken WP. Recompile it

    Write protect. What processor are you using, just out of interest? Is
    it a weird beast like a 486SLC?

  3. Re: What's a WP bit?

    "Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" wrote in message
    news:608b6569.0404220345.33d03489@posting.google.c om...
    > > Checking if this processor honours the WP bit even in supervisor mode...

    No.
    > > Kernel panic: This kernel doesn't support CPU's with broken WP.

    Recompile it

    > Write protect. What processor are you using, just out of interest? Is
    > it a weird beast like a 486SLC?

    Worse. It's a 386sx.

+ Reply to Thread