Linux backups with tar - beating the 2 gig limit - Help

This is a discussion on Linux backups with tar - beating the 2 gig limit - Help ; I have been working on backing up some data using tar. But I have ran in to the 2 gig limitation on file size. Does anyone know of any flags you can use with tar to break the backup into ...

  1. Linux backups with tar - beating the 2 gig limit

    I have been working on backing up some data using tar. But I
    have ran in to the 2 gig limitation on file size. Does anyone know
    of any flags you can use with tar to break the backup into multiple files?
    I have considered using the -M --multi-volume option, I understand this
    is used for tape devices, so when one tape is full it will write to
    another tape device. Does anyone know perhaps if you can use this option
    to create your backups in multiple volumes to the hard drive instead of a
    tape device.

    Thanks, w00t

  2. Re: Linux backups with tar - beating the 2 gig limit

  3. Re: Linux backups with tar - beating the 2 gig limit

    Michael Heiming wrote:

    > NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message
    >
    > w00t wrote:
    >
    >> I have been working on backing up some data using tar. But I
    >> have ran in to the 2 gig limitation on file size. Does anyone know

    Hello!,

    I think you have to try the command split

    It's very useful,

    Best Regards!,

    Antonio.

    P.D: It's possible that your problem with 2 GB size limit it's a filesystem
    type limit (ext2) not from tar command.

    > Either your tar/distro is rather old, or you have run into
    > another problem. What are the error messages you get?
    >
    > What is the output of:
    >
    > strings `which tar` | grep 64
    >
    > BTW
    > Please consider setting up a Followup-To: and don't ask for email
    > replies only, there won't be any answer in the archives then, not
    > very nice to people searching the archives.

+ Reply to Thread