XP not bootable after Suse install - Help

This is a discussion on XP not bootable after Suse install - Help ; I sinstalled SuSE8 on a machine with XP on it. After solving some trouble with getting SuSE to boot, I end up with XP not booting. LILO shows a Windows option in the mmenu, but it resuklts in a black ...

  1. XP not bootable after Suse install

    I sinstalled SuSE8 on a machine with XP on it. After solving
    some trouble with getting SuSE to boot, I end up with XP not
    booting. LILO shows a Windows option in the mmenu, but it resuklts
    in a black screen withtext saying the disk is not bootable.
    From Linux, I see that the disk is readble, and its contents look
    generally ok (it is THERE at least)

    Is there a way I can solve this without reinstalling XP, and thus
    probably having to reinstall SuSE also (since from what I know XP
    overwrites the LILO stuff?

    Regards ///edvard

  2. Re: XP not bootable after Suse install

    You need to set the "bootable" flag on the XP partition. You can do this
    with a disk partitioning utility like parted or fdisk.

    "E Drake" wrote in message
    news:27c4d36.0404202246.3115afa5@posting.google.co m...
    > I sinstalled SuSE8 on a machine with XP on it. After solving
    > some trouble with getting SuSE to boot, I end up with XP not
    > booting. LILO shows a Windows option in the mmenu, but it resuklts
    > in a black screen withtext saying the disk is not bootable.
    > From Linux, I see that the disk is readble, and its contents look
    > generally ok (it is THERE at least)
    >
    > Is there a way I can solve this without reinstalling XP, and thus
    > probably having to reinstall SuSE also (since from what I know XP
    > overwrites the LILO stuff?
    >
    > Regards ///edvard

  3. Re: XP not bootable after Suse install

    "William Winkler" wrote in message news:...
    > You need to set the "bootable" flag on the XP partition. You can do this
    > with a disk partitioning utility like parted or fdisk.

    I found the fault. For some reason lilo.conf pointed out hda2 asd the
    XP disk, while it really was hda1. After changing that, it works again

+ Reply to Thread