Lost interrupt for seemingly working CD-RW - Help

This is a discussion on Lost interrupt for seemingly working CD-RW - Help ; I tried to install Suse 8.0 professional on a 500 MHz PIII, which has had the same installation previously. The only physical difference now is a USB2 card and a replaced CD-RW drive. There was already a WinXP Professional on ...

  1. Lost interrupt for seemingly working CD-RW

    I tried to install Suse 8.0 professional on a 500 MHz PIII, which has
    had the same installation previously. The only physical difference now
    is a USB2 card and a replaced CD-RW drive. There was already a WinXP
    Professional on the same physical 80Gb drive.

    Now the installation procedure goes extremely slow (seems to get stuck
    in several places, but finally passes). After the install (only one of
    the 7 CDs is asked for) I get the message "remove removable bootable
    media and reboot". Then the reboot fails, with lost interrupts related
    to the CD-RW. It is the same drive that I just installed from, so it
    is NOT completely malfunctioning.

    Anyone has an idea what this is?

    I also note (which might be completely normal?) that although I have
    only IDE drives, there is some kind of indication of SCSI emulation
    for this CD-RW; and it actually claims that SCSI device 0 is the one
    that fails. I don't even have a SCSI controller...

    /edvard

  2. Re: Lost interrupt for seemingly working CD-RW

    > I also note (which might be completely normal?) that although I have
    > only IDE drives, there is some kind of indication of SCSI emulation

    ATAPI is SCSI protocol over IDE interface.

  3. Re: Lost interrupt for seemingly working CD-RW

    mister__bister@hotmail.com (E Drake) wrote in message news:<27c4d36.0404191054.3d545e62@posting.google.com>...
    > I tried to install Suse 8.0 professional on a 500 MHz PIII, which has
    > had the same installation previously. The only physical difference now
    > is a USB2 card and a replaced CD-RW drive. There was already a WinXP
    > Professional on the same physical 80Gb drive.
    >
    > Now the installation procedure goes extremely slow (seems to get stuck
    > in several places, but finally passes). After the install (only one of
    > the 7 CDs is asked for) I get the message "remove removable bootable
    > media and reboot". Then the reboot fails, with lost interrupts related
    > to the CD-RW. It is the same drive that I just installed from, so it
    > is NOT completely malfunctioning.
    >
    > Anyone has an idea what this is?
    >
    > I also note (which might be completely normal?) that although I have
    > only IDE drives, there is some kind of indication of SCSI emulation
    > for this CD-RW; and it actually claims that SCSI device 0 is the one
    > that fails. I don't even have a SCSI controller...
    >
    > /edvard

    After having done some news group browsing, I realize that a lot was
    asked on this topic years ago, but I find no answers that are really
    helpful. I got the explanation to the SCSI emulation, though. But no
    solution to the problem

    I can also add that sometimes the boot sequence actually passes the
    CD-RW stuff (actually it seems more likey to pass if I put a CD in the
    CD-RW), but then it hangs on some later occasion (often at the usb &
    pci startup, it seems) . I never got the system to fully boot.

    Moreover, the whole process has destroyed my Windows XP installation.
    No bootable disk found for it...although LILO obviously thinks there
    is a Windows on the machine.

    One advice in the threads I read was to have only one device per IDE
    channel, but that is almost ridiculus. Even if it works, it is a silly
    workaround
    Is it really so that Linux has problems running CD-RW in general? It
    is on the same IDE channel as a CD, and I have one HD on the other
    (and I cannot change this easily, due to physical cable limitations)

    /edvard

  4. Re: Lost interrupt for seemingly working CD-RW

    larwe@larwe.com (Lewin A.R.W. Edwards) wrote in message news:<608b6569.0404191607.3954ad31@posting.google.com>...
    > > I also note (which might be completely normal?) that although I have
    > > only IDE drives, there is some kind of indication of SCSI emulation

    > ATAPI is SCSI protocol over IDE interface.

    is it?? Thats not how I understood it, but maybe...

    /edvard

  5. Re: Lost interrupt for seemingly working CD-RW

    > > ATAPI is SCSI protocol over IDE interface.
    >
    > is it?? Thats not how I understood it, but maybe...

    Yes, basically that's what it is. Read up on it

    "Hosts control ATAPI devices using SCSI command packets. The SCSI
    command packets are transported over the ATA interface, instead of the
    parallel SCSI bus. This cool hack is described in ATA/ATAPI-6."

  6. Re: Lost interrupt for seemingly working CD-RW

    > I can also add that sometimes the boot sequence actually passes the
    > CD-RW stuff (actually it seems more likey to pass if I put a CD in the
    > CD-RW), but then it hangs on some later occasion (often at the usb &
    > pci startup, it seems) . I never got the system to fully boot.

    Problem solved. It must have been a physical problem with connectison.
    I messed around with the cables, and suddenly it all worked. Now I have
    another problem, but I start another thread for that

    /edvard

+ Reply to Thread