Installing Linux (Help Me Please) - Help

This is a discussion on Installing Linux (Help Me Please) - Help ; i own a HP Pavillion PC and i can't get Linux installed, i want to dual boot with my windows and Caldera Openlinux 2.2 which i have on CD. However i need to partition my hard drive so i installed ...

  1. Installing Linux (Help Me Please)

    i own a HP Pavillion PC and i can't get Linux installed, i want to dual boot
    with my windows and Caldera Openlinux 2.2 which i have on CD. However i need
    to partition my hard drive so i installed Partition Magic from the same CD
    which tells me to eject the CD and restart my pc which should then boot
    Partition Magic but my PC just restarts windows, i think is because of the
    HP Boot Screen which seems to skip a lot that other pcs dont(e.g counting
    the RAM at the start) i phoned HP Tech Support who reccomend i don't install
    Linux as it will Void my warranty, and they refuse to tell me how to remove
    the HP Boot Screen (but he told me it can be done) so can linux be installed
    on my PC or am i stuck with a glorified X-Box. Can some one Please help me
    e-mail @ mig_k28@hotmail.com

  2. Re: Installing Linux (Help Me Please)

    "Kyle McGlone" wrote in message news:...
    > i own a HP Pavillion PC and i can't get Linux installed, i want to dual boot
    > with my windows and Caldera Openlinux 2.2 which i have on CD. However i need
    > to partition my hard drive so i installed Partition Magic from the same CD
    > which tells me to eject the CD and restart my pc which should then boot
    > Partition Magic but my PC just restarts windows, i think is because of the
    > HP Boot Screen which seems to skip a lot that other pcs dont(e.g counting
    > the RAM at the start) i phoned HP Tech Support who reccomend i don't install
    > Linux as it will Void my warranty, and they refuse to tell me how to remove
    > the HP Boot Screen (but he told me it can be done) so can linux be installed
    > on my PC or am i stuck with a glorified X-Box.

    You don't say what your existing windows filesystem is, but you could
    try the CD from http://www.sysresccd.org/ for your partitioning. Just
    boot straight from the CD. You do know using Caldera OpenLinux is like
    sleeping with the spawn on Satan, don't you? Go for something like
    Mandrake 10 and you'll sleep better at night.

  3. Re: Installing Linux (Help Me Please)

    Mattias Honrendgard wrote:
    > You do know using Caldera OpenLinux is like
    > sleeping with the spawn on Satan, don't you? Go for something like
    > Mandrake 10 and you'll sleep better at night.

    _of_. sleeping with the spawn _of_ Satan!

    very appropriate reference otherwise.
    ;o)

    --
    Woolsey-Swanson Rule:
    People would rather live with a problem they cannot solve

    remove '.eh' to email

  4. Re: Installing Linux (Help Me Please)

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Mattias Honrendgard wrote:
    >
    >> You do know using Caldera OpenLinux is like
    >> sleeping with the spawn on Satan, don't you? Go for something like
    >> Mandrake 10 and you'll sleep better at night.

    > _of_. sleeping with the spawn _of_ Satan!

    Could be on, but it's icky:
    mount -t icky /dev/spawn /mnt/satan

+ Reply to Thread