Which Linux is for me? - Help

This is a discussion on Which Linux is for me? - Help ; Help! I'm trying to resurect an old computer using Linux. It's a i386 with a 80 MB HD and a parallel Zip drive. I know the hardware is ancient, but I'm not looking for the system to do much. All ...

  1. Which Linux is for me?

    Help!

    I'm trying to resurect an old computer using Linux. It's a i386 with a 80 MB
    HD and a parallel Zip drive. I know the hardware is ancient, but I'm not
    looking for the system to do much. All I need is a multithreaded
    command-line OS that will run a ftp and web server for an intranet. When I
    say command-line, I really mean no GUI at all. I'm completely happy with a
    text/console-only server system. This essentially gives me a stable,
    multi-threaded DOS - perfect for this lil'guy.

    The problem is that all of the distros I've found either are too little
    (floppy-based recovery disks) or too much (full GUI). One would think that
    there would be a way to install a text-only Redhat or Mandrake. (Is there
    one? I haven't found it.)

    Any suggestions invited. Thanks!

  2. Re: Which Linux is for me?

    Fodor wrote in
    news:7d3e0b09f21584af57c675ed85bb9a77@news.teranew s.com:

    > The problem is that all of the distros I've found either are too
    > little (floppy-based recovery disks) or too much (full GUI). One
    > would think that there would be a way to install a text-only
    > Redhat or Mandrake. (Is there one? I haven't found it.)

    Take a look at damnsmalllinux. It is a business card size, mostly
    Debian based liveCD with hdd installation option. No GUI, but uses
    Fluxbox as windows manager.
    www.damnsmalllinux.org

    You might also take a look at Feather Linux. It is similar to dsl.

    --
    Cheers,
    Kurt

  3. Re: Which Linux is for me?

    Kurt wrote in message news:...
    > Fodor wrote in
    > news:7d3e0b09f21584af57c675ed85bb9a77@news.teranew s.com:
    >
    > > The problem is that all of the distros I've found either are too
    > > little (floppy-based recovery disks) or too much (full GUI). One
    > > would think that there would be a way to install a text-only
    > > Redhat or Mandrake. (Is there one? I haven't found it.)
    > >

    > Take a look at damnsmalllinux. It is a business card size, mostly
    > Debian based liveCD with hdd installation option. No GUI, but uses
    > Fluxbox as windows manager.
    > www.damnsmalllinux.org
    >
    > You might also take a look at Feather Linux. It is similar to dsl.

    Slackware Linux could also be used, as you can chose what you want to
    install. Don't want KDE? Then don't install it 80Mb is damn tight
    though, so you'll have to know exactly what you want as the bare
    miniumum.

    Distrowatch has a list of loads of distros.

  4. Re: Which Linux is for me?

    Hi Kurt,

    Thanks for your suggestions. I tried both, as both looked promising.
    Unfortunately, both require a math coprocessor and refuse to boot, even from
    a boot floppy. I should have mentioned that the 386 is a 386SX, not a 386DX.
    Both say that math coprocessor emulation was not found, meaning that the
    distro creators probably removed the emulation to save space.

    I'm starting to think that I'm expecting too much out of this hardware.

    Thanks,

    Kevin

    "Kurt" wrote in message
    > Fodor wrote in
    > news:7d3e0b09f21584af57c675ed85bb9a77@news.teranew s.com:
    >
    > > The problem is that all of the distros I've found either are too
    > > little (floppy-based recovery disks) or too much (full GUI). One
    > > would think that there would be a way to install a text-only
    > > Redhat or Mandrake. (Is there one? I haven't found it.)
    > >

    > Take a look at damnsmalllinux. It is a business card size, mostly
    > Debian based liveCD with hdd installation option. No GUI, but uses
    > Fluxbox as windows manager.
    > www.damnsmalllinux.org
    >
    > You might also take a look at Feather Linux. It is similar to dsl.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Kurt

  5. Re: Which Linux is for me?

    "Mattias Honrendgard" wrote in message
    news:dd394218.0404200111.59467d81@posting.google.c om...
    > Slackware Linux could also be used, as you can chose what you want to
    > install. Don't want KDE? Then don't install it 80Mb is damn tight
    > though, so you'll have to know exactly what you want as the bare
    > miniumum.
    >
    > Distrowatch has a list of loads of distros.

    I can at least try. I have a pretty solid grasp on exactly what I need in
    the install. The problem is that if the OS fills the drive, I won't have
    much room for the data files I need on the system. Granted, there's not many
    data files, but having 1 MB or so left is cutting it too tight, I think.

    We shall soon see.

    Thanks!

  6. Re: Which Linux is for me?

    Fodor wrote in
    news:815fd639015470acab2559e1c3e8c2f9@news.teranew s.com:

    > Hi Kurt,
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestions. I tried both, as both looked
    > promising. Unfortunately, both require a math coprocessor and
    > refuse to boot, even from a boot floppy. I should have mentioned
    > that the 386 is a 386SX, not a 386DX. Both say that math
    > coprocessor emulation was not found, meaning that the distro
    > creators probably removed the emulation to save space.
    >
    > I'm starting to think that I'm expecting too much out of this
    > hardware.
    >
    > Thanks,

    Hi Kevin,
    DSL should be able to boot with a 386. There is a posting at the
    websight under the FAQs regarding minimum requirements for DSL and a
    link under the same to an article where DSL was run on a 486DX33. I
    guess that's where I got the notion that it might run on your 386.

    You may have to try only CLI distros. And I can't think of any other
    than some specialized ones like IPCop (Firewall/router) that will run
    on a 386 with min 8 megs RAM and a fairly small hdd.
    http://www.IPCop.org
    And BTW the 'Cop is a very good use for old machines! I run behind one
    myself (currently using a PII-200,, but started out with a 486DX66
    32Megs RAM and 500mb hdd). Very easy to install and administer. Once
    installed and running with 2 NICs you can remove monitor, keyboard and
    mouse. If you go with the 'Cop, be sure to get the installation guide
    and administration guide and read through a couple of times before
    setting things up. The guides are written very clearly and are easy to
    follow.
    Good luck.
    --
    Cheers,
    Kurt

  7. Re: Which Linux is for me?

    What about ZipSlack? Anyone know about that? It's a ZipDisk-bootable version
    of Slackware. I could run it off of the Zip Drive and place all of my data
    and swap space on the HD.

    "Kurt" wrote in message
    > Fodor wrote in
    > news:815fd639015470acab2559e1c3e8c2f9@news.teranew s.com:
    >
    > > Hi Kurt,
    > >
    > > Thanks for your suggestions. I tried both, as both looked
    > > promising. Unfortunately, both require a math coprocessor and
    > > refuse to boot, even from a boot floppy. I should have mentioned
    > > that the 386 is a 386SX, not a 386DX. Both say that math
    > > coprocessor emulation was not found, meaning that the distro
    > > creators probably removed the emulation to save space.
    > >
    > > I'm starting to think that I'm expecting too much out of this
    > > hardware.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >

    > Hi Kevin,
    > DSL should be able to boot with a 386. There is a posting at the
    > websight under the FAQs regarding minimum requirements for DSL and a
    > link under the same to an article where DSL was run on a 486DX33. I
    > guess that's where I got the notion that it might run on your 386.
    >
    > You may have to try only CLI distros. And I can't think of any other
    > than some specialized ones like IPCop (Firewall/router) that will run
    > on a 386 with min 8 megs RAM and a fairly small hdd.
    > http://www.IPCop.org
    > And BTW the 'Cop is a very good use for old machines! I run behind one
    > myself (currently using a PII-200,, but started out with a 486DX66
    > 32Megs RAM and 500mb hdd). Very easy to install and administer. Once
    > installed and running with 2 NICs you can remove monitor, keyboard and
    > mouse. If you go with the 'Cop, be sure to get the installation guide
    > and administration guide and read through a couple of times before
    > setting things up. The guides are written very clearly and are easy to
    > follow.
    > Good luck.
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Kurt

  8. Re: Which Linux is for me?

    > I'm trying to resurect an old computer using Linux. It's a i386 with a 80 MB
    > HD and a parallel Zip drive. I know the hardware is ancient, but I'm not

    You did'nt mention the amount of RAM you've got. try slackware or
    debian. 80 MB of space might be a showstopper here but you might just
    be able to fit it in with a custom install.

    Have fun
    Sharninder Singh

  9. Re: Which Linux is for me?

    "Sharninder" wrote in message
    news:33b0a49.0404230441.24d4b763@posting.google.co m...

    > > I'm trying to resurect an old computer using Linux. It's a i386 with a

    80 MB
    > > HD and a parallel Zip drive. I know the hardware is ancient, but I'm not

    > You did'nt mention the amount of RAM you've got. try slackware or
    > debian. 80 MB of space might be a showstopper here but you might just
    > be able to fit it in with a custom install.

    I'm actually trying Slackware now. I'm having a hardware conflict while
    booting, but I'm getting some help for that in another newsgroup.

    The machine has 4.5 MB. It's a strange amount, but that's what it has.

    Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread