Hello:

I am making a call to ps in order to monitor the program I am running. Many
of the command line terms that are returned are in the books, I can interpret
them, but some are not. Listed below are sample command lines returned from
the call of 'ps l -U myid'. If someone could help to interpret them for me,
I would appreciate it.

The script I am running is making multiple serial calls to run a java program.

Here are sample lines from 'ps l -U myid'.

F UID PID PPID PRI NI VSZ RSS WCHAN STAT TTY TIME COMMAND
5 . . . . . . . select SN ? . myid@pts/0
what does the flag setting for five indicate, and where can I find the
list of flags and what they mean? What does select mean? What is @pts/0

F UID PID PPID PRI NI VSZ RSS WCHAN STAT TTY TIME COMMAND
0 . . . . . . . rt_sig SN pts/0 . -csh
What is rt_sig, and why is pts/0 under TTY?

F UID PID PPID PRI NI VSZ RSS WCHAN STAT TTY TIME COMMAND
0 . . . . . . . wait4 SN pts/0 . /bin/sh ./myscript
I am ok with this line

F UID PID PPID PRI NI VSZ RSS WCHAN STAT TTY TIME COMMAND
0 . . . . . . . - RN pts/0 . java myprogram
The java program is the program being run by my script.
Why does WCHAN only have a bar, and no other text

F UID PID PPID PRI NI VSZ RSS WCHAN STAT TTY TIME COMMAND
1 . . . . . . . poll SN pts/0 . java myprogram
What does poll mean? and what is the flag meaning of 1?

F UID PID PPID PRI NI VSZ RSS WCHAN STAT TTY TIME COMMAND
1 . . . . . . . nanosl SN pts/0 . java myprogram
What does nanosl mean?

Thanks
j.