difficult i think, disk buffor on usb pendrive - Help

This is a discussion on difficult i think, disk buffor on usb pendrive - Help ; Hi, I have a linux server in my bedroom, it's working all the time (postfix, apache and some others). The problem is it is very loud. The main problem is with disk. I cannot switch it off after lets say ...

  1. difficult i think, disk buffor on usb pendrive

    Hi,

    I have a linux server in my bedroom, it's working all the time
    (postfix, apache and some others). The problem is it is very loud. The
    main problem is with disk. I cannot switch it off after lets say
    10min, becouse its turn on again when the postfix recives mail or
    apache wants to log something. I dont want to stop logging all these
    things. Ok. I have an idea to use a usb key (i dont know english word
    for it, pendrive, maybe) to store a disk buffer on it. Linux should
    buffer everything on pendrive and in case of pendrive is full, copy
    everything to disk. I dont want to mount pendrive to one or more
    directories, i will prefer just to store disk buffer on it. I know
    linux can store disk buffer in ram, but its a litte bit too risky,
    becouse from time to time there is no power for one or two minutes and
    all my email and so on will be lost.

    thank you for any help

  2. Re: difficult i think, disk buffor on usb pendrive

    br wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a linux server in my bedroom, it's working all the time
    > (postfix, apache and some others). The problem is it is very loud. The
    > main problem is with disk. I cannot switch it off after lets say
    > 10min, becouse its turn on again when the postfix recives mail or
    > apache wants to log something. I dont want to stop logging all these
    > things. Ok. I have an idea to use a usb key (i dont know english word
    > for it, pendrive, maybe) to store a disk buffer on it. Linux should
    > buffer everything on pendrive and in case of pendrive is full, copy
    > everything to disk. I dont want to mount pendrive to one or more
    > directories, i will prefer just to store disk buffer on it. I know
    > linux can store disk buffer in ram, but its a litte bit too risky,
    > becouse from time to time there is no power for one or two minutes and
    > all my email and so on will be lost.
    >
    > thank you for any help

    USB pen drives are supported in linux as 'usb mass storage' devices
    in order to make use of them, the linux kernel must be configured with
    - scsi disk support
    - usb support
    - usb preliminary filesystem support
    - usb mass storage support
    Once these are enabled, the usbutils package contains the 'lsusb' command,
    you can run lsusb, it should show you information, like if the usb pen
    drive is recognized.
    Once you have the usb pen drive recognized as a device, it will appear as a
    scsi disk device, most likely the last scsi drive.
    My system has all IDE drives, so for me this is /dev/sda . It is much easier
    if you are using device filesystem to see the usb device, as it shows up
    under the /dev/scsi/hostx.///.. path.

    Ok, so after you have found the scsi device that coresponds to you usb pen
    drive, you may need to create a partition on it, and may need to create
    ext2 or ext3 or what you use filesystem. (use fdisk, mke2fs on the
    /dev/sd?? device that is your usb drive)
    I have found most pen drives come pre formatted with some msdos or fat type
    of file system.

    Note, be careful and make sure you are using the usb pen drive, if you have
    other scsi disks in your system (we don't want to mess them up)

    Then, it should be a matter of adjusting your /etc/fstab to mount the pen
    devices in place of the /path/to/log file spot.

    hope this helps.

    --
    Travis Hein
    Keyboard not found.