RedHat ethernet setup - Help

This is a discussion on RedHat ethernet setup - Help ; hi, i have a AMD Athlon 2,4GHz processor, 512MB RAM, 80G Hardrive with integrated peripherals - network interface card, video card etc. problem is ethernet setting, i did a fresh install of RedHat 7.0 on this box and it couldnt ...

  1. RedHat ethernet setup

    hi,

    i have a AMD Athlon 2,4GHz processor, 512MB RAM, 80G Hardrive with
    integrated peripherals - network interface card, video card etc.

    problem is ethernet setting, i did a fresh install of RedHat 7.0 on this box
    and it couldnt pick up the network card, so i installed a add-on card on the
    motherboard and it picked this one up. i gave it a local ip address
    192.168.1.x,
    and it pings itself, telnets, ftps, and httpd itself with no problems. but
    it cant
    see outside itself. and others cant see it.

    if i am working in bash i get this error continuously:
    "eth0: Transmit timed out, status ec6980d7......."

    now i am not sure whats causing this. is it to do with my integrated
    ethernet card?
    because my eth0 interface is properly configured and i THINK eth0 is my
    add-on
    card not the integrated card.

    let me know if you know how to deal with integrated cards etc.
    integrated card is a VT6103 on a VT8378 (KM400) Northbridge motherboard
    (Elitegroup)

    cheers,

  2. Re: RedHat ethernet setup

    I'd start with a newer release.

  3. Re: RedHat ethernet setup

    Fadzi Ushewokunze sat down at the computer and pounded the following into
    the keyboard:

    > problem is ethernet setting, i did a fresh install of RedHat 7.0 on this
    > box and it couldnt pick up the network card, so i installed a add-on card
    > on the motherboard and it picked this one up. i gave it a local ip address
    > 192.168.1.x,
    > and it pings itself, telnets, ftps, and httpd itself with no problems. but
    > it cant
    > see outside itself. and others cant see it.

    You didn't describe what this machine is hooked up to. Is it directly
    connected to the Internet? A local LAN? Is your network using DCHP?

    Tell us what's hooked to the other end of the cable, and how it's
    configured. I suspect that may be the problem.

    --
    \\\\\ ----> hedgehog@hedgie.com <----
    \\\\\\\__o Bringing hedgehogs to the common folk since 1994.

    Visit http://www.hedgie.com for information on my latest book,
    "Waiting for War," published by Aventine Press!

  4. Re: RedHat ethernet setup

    i think the lesson of the day for me is to install a more recent
    distribution.

    thanks.

    newsan.2004.04.11.06.45.37.975934@spam.com...

+ Reply to Thread