Re: Help with classpath - Help

This is a discussion on Re: Help with classpath - Help ; uhh, no answer on the java groups...anyone...? javac@mail.com javac@mail.com (javac) wrote in message news: ... > jcastilletti@hotmail.com (John Castilletti) wrote in message news: ... > > All, > > > > I am a newbie at this so please bear ...

  1. Re: Help with classpath

    javac@mail.com (javac) wrote in message news:<64d923a9.0404072141.43477fe@posting.google.com>...
    > jcastilletti@hotmail.com (John Castilletti) wrote in message news:<5655759b.0403131814.1d7bfb5f@posting.google.com>...
    > > All,
    > >
    > > I am a newbie at this so please bear with me!
    > >
    > > I am having a problem compiling a java program and I believe it is due to
    > > an incorrect path.

    > [..]
    >
    > I'm a newbie too
    >
    > using fedora coreOne linux, my userid is "java". user java has
    > installed netbeans, which works fine. so, in /home/java/? is the
    > netbeans directory, within which is file named: "javac".
    >
    > how do i, ase user java, "javac foo.java"? apparently the best way is
    > to:
    >
    > javac -classpath ??????? foo.java
    >
    > what goes in the ??????? part please? pretend, like, if you told me
    > RTFM, i couldn't and yes, i've already tried to read the f***'n
    > manual, which is why I'm posting on usenet.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > javac@mail.com

  2. Re: Help with classpath

    I am by far no linux guru.....
    Linux and Windows both have what are called "environment variables"

    Basically, it is a customized way of adding places to look for applications
    like javac or java .... etc;

    So look up on google how to change an environment variable or the "env"
    "set" and "export" commands.

    so this would set the PATH and CLASSPATH variables

    export PATH=$PATH:/whateverdirectory/jdk/bin

    broken down this is
    PATH -> is the environment variable you want to change

    =$PATH: -> basically is like saying += adding (make note of the colon at the
    end it belongs there as a delimiter)

    /whateverdirectory/jdk/bin -> this is the directoyr you want to point to. It
    is basically always the bin directories.

    My issue was even though I change an environment variable...it would change
    for a single terminal in KDE but it would not stay there forever... which is
    a pain.. so this is when I had to start editing the ".bashrc " or other
    files to get that to work... anyway this part is a pain. If you find you had
    this problem to... here is where I got my answer....

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ca...oup:comp.os.li
    nux.misc&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.os.linux.misc&selm=8766dwrv27.fld%40b
    arrow.com&rnum=1

    One thing that is so terrifying about being new to linux for me, is when you
    edit these .profile and config files that sometimes extremely delicate
    dedicated **** that if you change will screw up your system bigtime.... is
    right next to some basic setting, so you never know when you are screwing up
    your entire system or not by changing a single variable. That part of linux
    is very annoying.

    "javac" wrote in message
    news:64d923a9.0404092121.3b148def@posting.google.c om...
    > uhh, no answer on the java groups...anyone...?
    >
    > javac@mail.com
    >
    > javac@mail.com (javac) wrote in message

    > > jcastilletti@hotmail.com (John Castilletti) wrote in message

    > > > All,
    > > >
    > > > I am a newbie at this so please bear with me!
    > > >
    > > > I am having a problem compiling a java program and I believe it is due

    > > > an incorrect path.

    > > [..]
    > >
    > > I'm a newbie too
    > >
    > > using fedora coreOne linux, my userid is "java". user java has
    > > installed netbeans, which works fine. so, in /home/java/? is the
    > > netbeans directory, within which is file named: "javac".
    > >
    > > how do i, ase user java, "javac foo.java"? apparently the best way is
    > > to:
    > >
    > > javac -classpath ??????? foo.java
    > >
    > > what goes in the ??????? part please? pretend, like, if you told me
    > > RTFM, i couldn't and yes, i've already tried to read the f***'n
    > > manual, which is why I'm posting on usenet.
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > >
    > > javac@mail.com

+ Reply to Thread