Q: Switching between screen resolutions before logon? - Help

This is a discussion on Q: Switching between screen resolutions before logon? - Help ; I understand that the following keyboard combination enables the user to switch between different screen resolutions: ctrl-alt- Would this work before logon? I am trying to log on to a Red Hat Linux computer configured for a 17 inch monitor. ...

  1. Q: Switching between screen resolutions before logon?

    I understand that the following keyboard combination enables the user
    to switch between different screen resolutions:

    ctrl-alt-

    Would this work before logon?

    I am trying to log on to a Red Hat Linux computer configured for a 17
    inch monitor. I'm currently using a 15 inch monitor.

    Thanks,

    Sam
    (Please post your replies here. My e-mail address is spam proofed.)

  2. Re: Q: Switching between screen resolutions before logon?

    S.V.Proff wrote:
    > I understand that the following keyboard combination enables the user
    > to switch between different screen resolutions:
    >
    > ctrl-alt-
    >
    > Would this work before logon?
    >
    > I am trying to log on to a Red Hat Linux computer configured for a 17
    > inch monitor. I'm currently using a 15 inch monitor.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sam
    > (Please post your replies here. My e-mail address is spam proofed.)

    Since the screen resolution is a function of X and not the window
    manager, it should work.

  3. Re: Q: Switching between screen resolutions before logon?

    > ctrl-alt-
    > Would this work before logon?

    It's a feature of the X server, so yes.

  4. Re: Q: Switching between screen resolutions before logon?

    Gary Dale wrote in message
    > S.V.Proff wrote:
    > > I understand that the following keyboard combination enables the user
    > > to switch between different screen resolutions:
    > >
    > > ctrl-alt-
    > >
    > > Would this work before logon?

    [..]

    > Since the screen resolution is a function of X and not the window
    > manager, it should work.

    Thanks Gary and Lewin.

    It did not work. I'm thinking that the file that is supposed to
    contain various configuration options does not have other choices.

    How do I get this computer to start out in the terminal mode so that I
    can tweak it?

    Also, which file do I edit to add additional options for the screen
    resolution?

    What would be a typical entry into this file for a 1024 x 768
    resolution?

    Sam
    (Please post your replies here. My e-mail address is spam proofed.)

  5. Re: Q: Switching between screen resolutions before logon?

    S.V.Proff wrote:
    > Gary Dale wrote in message
    >
    >>S.V.Proff wrote:
    >>
    >>>I understand that the following keyboard combination enables the user
    >>>to switch between different screen resolutions:
    >>>
    >>>ctrl-alt-
    >>>
    >>>Would this work before logon?
    >>>

    > [..]
    >
    >>Since the screen resolution is a function of X and not the window
    >>manager, it should work.

    > Thanks Gary and Lewin.
    >
    > It did not work. I'm thinking that the file that is supposed to
    > contain various configuration options does not have other choices.
    >
    > How do I get this computer to start out in the terminal mode so that I
    > can tweak it?
    >
    > Also, which file do I edit to add additional options for the screen
    > resolution?
    >
    > What would be a typical entry into this file for a 1024 x 768
    > resolution?
    >
    > Sam
    > (Please post your replies here. My e-mail address is spam proofed.)

    Start it up in rescue/single user mode (mode 1). If you don't have a
    rescue disk, try the original install CD, or any other install CD. They
    usually let you boot to a rescue mode. Or you can do something similar
    at the grub/lilo menu - depending on which boot loader you are using.

    Again, depending on which version of XFree86 you have, the configuration
    program changes - try XFree86 -configure.

    The file you are changing is usually /etc/X11/XF86Config or
    /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 however. Renaming all instances of these to
    anything else will prevent X from starting, if all else fails.

  6. Re: Q: Switching between screen resolutions before logon?

    > It did not work. I'm thinking that the file that is supposed to
    > contain various configuration options does not have other choices.

    There's another possibility - which is that it is switching modes, but
    the monitor configured supports really high refresh rates which your
    attached monitor doesn't.

    > How do I get this computer to start out in the terminal mode so that I
    > can tweak it?

    edit /etc/inittab, but this should not be necessary because you don't
    want to change it permanently. Add "3" to the end of your boot line to
    make the system start in runlevel 3 - you can do this by pressing "e"
    in grub, moving down to the kernel line, editing it, and then pressing
    "b" to boot it. I don't remember how to do it using LILO, it's been a
    REALLY long time.

    Or you can simply boot the system normally, wait for X to start, then
    hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 to switch to the first textmode virtual terminal, and
    log in there.

    > Also, which file do I edit to add additional options for the screen
    > resolution?

    Almost universally, /etc/X11/XF86Config

    > What would be a typical entry into this file for a 1024 x 768
    > resolution?

    In modern versions of XFree86, modelines describing exact geometries
    aren't necessary. Down the bottom you will have a stanza looking like
    this:

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Videocard0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 16
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Add appropriate modes to the "Modes" line, save, press Ctrl-Alt-F7 to
    switch back to the crazed X screen, press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill
    the X server and it will restart automatically with your new config.

+ Reply to Thread