Internet Connection Sharing with Linux - Help

This is a discussion on Internet Connection Sharing with Linux - Help ; Hi all, hope someone can help. My setup: connecting to alltel dsl through an external modem and a Linksys pci adapter (eth1). On another pci adapter(eth0) I have a my playstation2 connected. Under windows I used netconn.exe to connect the ...

  1. Internet Connection Sharing with Linux

    Hi all, hope someone can help. My setup: connecting to alltel dsl through an
    external modem and a Linksys pci adapter (eth1). On another pci
    adapter(eth0) I have a my playstation2 connected. Under windows I used
    netconn.exe to connect the two. I have recently started using Suse 9.0
    personal linux. Can anyone tell me how to do this using linux? I am new to
    the whole linux os and would appreciate any help.

    Thanks,

    Shadow13

  2. Re: Internet Connection Sharing with Linux

    On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 03:59:40 -0400, shaaadow13 wrote in
    message news::

    > Hi all, hope someone can help. My setup: connecting to alltel dsl
    > through an external modem and a Linksys pci adapter (eth1). On another
    > pci adapter(eth0) I have a my playstation2 connected. Under windows I
    > used netconn.exe to connect the two. I have recently started using Suse
    > 9.0 personal linux. Can anyone tell me how to do this using linux? I am
    > new to the whole linux os and would appreciate any help.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Shadow13

    I'd say the easiest way to do it would be to have a dedicated
    gateway/firewall on your network. All you need is an old 486 PC, and a
    floppy distribution like Coyote Linux (http://www.coyotelinux.com). Then
    all you have to do when you want to give a new computer internet access is
    to simply plug the machine into the hub. Make sure you use a straight
    through cat-5 cable, rather than a crossover.

    If you don't want to do that, try using a proxy server like Squid. The
    rpms should be on the CD.

    --
    Funny Lurlean quote #7:
    ....it's easier for us to purify your charge account if you don't got no pre-set

  3. Re: Internet Connection Sharing with Linux

    On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 03:59:40 -0400, shaaadow13 wrote:

    > Hi all, hope someone can help. My setup: connecting to alltel dsl through an
    > external modem and a Linksys pci adapter (eth1). On another pci
    > adapter(eth0) I have a my playstation2 connected. Under windows I used
    > netconn.exe to connect the two. I have recently started using Suse 9.0
    > personal linux. Can anyone tell me how to do this using linux? I am new to
    > the whole linux os and would appreciate any help.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Shadow13

    You can use ipmasq. I'm unsure how this is installed on suse. Under debian
    there is a specific package for this ("ipmasq") which you install and
    setups your iptables rules etc for forwarding the connection. Maybe there
    is a similar package for suse. If you want to surf the internet, you'll
    also have to forward dns by either entering the dns servers on the other
    machines (but since this is a ps2 you'll probably not be doing that) or
    installing bind or whatever to forward local queries.

    Try looking for a package which deals with ipmasq. If you can't find one
    go to http://www.tldp.org and look for a howto on the matter.

    greets,
    Wim

+ Reply to Thread