Dual Boot Goof. - Help

This is a discussion on Dual Boot Goof. - Help ; I just received a spiffy Opteron system to do some test builds. I first installed Suse for opteron. I got the envirnment configured. Last week, I received the Win 2003 opteron build, and proceeded to install. Well, now the boot ...

  1. Dual Boot Goof.

    I just received a spiffy Opteron system to do some test builds. I
    first installed Suse for opteron. I got the envirnment configured.
    Last week, I received the Win 2003 opteron build, and proceeded to
    install. Well, now the boot goes straight into windows.

    I realize the preferred dual boot method is windows first, then
    linux. But I sank many hours into both oses getting them configured.
    Is there a way to recover the boot? I've seen plent of stuff, but
    I'm uncertain if they are applicable to the win2003. Most of info
    assumes win 9x, and thats a different puppy.

    Is there hope, or should I just hose it and start over?

    Hopefully, there is help.

  2. Re: Dual Boot Goof.

    The command you need to return control of the boot process to Linux is
    either
    /sbin/grub-install /dev/hdx
    if you installed grub as your Linux boot loader, or for lilo:
    /sbin/lilo -v -v

    If you installed from a CD, you should be able to get to your Linux system
    in order to issue this command by booting from the CD and then at the boot
    prompt, enter

    linux rescue

    It will give instructions on how to chroot to the Linux system you
    installed. Then you can also update your grub or lilo configuration to
    include your Windows system.

    "Jay" wrote in message
    news:7a8cd201.0404071336.7bbb99f3@posting.google.c om...
    > I just received a spiffy Opteron system to do some test builds. I
    > first installed Suse for opteron. I got the envirnment configured.
    > Last week, I received the Win 2003 opteron build, and proceeded to
    > install. Well, now the boot goes straight into windows.
    >
    > I realize the preferred dual boot method is windows first, then
    > linux. But I sank many hours into both oses getting them configured.
    > Is there a way to recover the boot? I've seen plent of stuff, but
    > I'm uncertain if they are applicable to the win2003. Most of info
    > assumes win 9x, and thats a different puppy.
    >
    > Is there hope, or should I just hose it and start over?
    >
    > Hopefully, there is help.

+ Reply to Thread