I think I broke linux....(installing java) - Help

This is a discussion on I think I broke linux....(installing java) - Help ; I am running Red Hat 9. I was trying to install java when a few wierd things happened. #1. When i finally got java working the ls command in bash stopped working. I ignored this, and continued. #2. I then ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: I think I broke linux....(installing java)

  1. I think I broke linux....(installing java)

    I am running Red Hat 9.
    I was trying to install java when a few wierd things happened.

    #1. When i finally got java working the ls command in bash stopped
    working. I ignored this, and continued.

    #2. I then tried install a .jar file. I typed 'jar bluej-135.jar'
    (which is incorrect) and bash froze for 15 minutes. I didnt know what
    to do so I closed bash. I figured out I needed to type 'java -jar
    bluej-135.jar', and i got a few error messages. it looked something
    like this(though im not exactly sure)

    something.something.somethingpen (some error)
    something.something.something: (another error)
    something.something.something: (another error)
    something.something.something: (another error)
    etc...

    I then tried rebooting figuring that when I did #2, something was
    still running. I logged out, and when I tried logging back in, it
    suggested I try failsafe mode. Of course i didnt, and i just get sent
    back to the login screen.

    I am fairly new with linux, and dont want to reinstall, so any help
    would be greatly appreciated.

    Also, what should you do when a file freezes? Is there something like
    ctrl-alt-del?

    Tanks much!

    Erik

  2. Re: I think I broke linux....(installing java)

    Sikdawg wrote:

    > I am running Red Hat 9.
    > I was trying to install java when a few wierd things happened.
    >
    > #1. When i finally got java working the ls command in bash stopped
    > working. I ignored this, and continued.
    >
    > #2. I then tried install a .jar file. I typed 'jar bluej-135.jar'
    > (which is incorrect) and bash froze for 15 minutes. I didnt know what
    > to do so I closed bash. I figured out I needed to type 'java -jar
    > bluej-135.jar', and i got a few error messages. it looked something
    > like this(though im not exactly sure)
    >
    > something.something.somethingpen (some error)
    > something.something.something: (another error)
    > something.something.something: (another error)
    > something.something.something: (another error)
    > etc...
    >
    > I then tried rebooting figuring that when I did #2, something was
    > still running. I logged out, and when I tried logging back in, it
    > suggested I try failsafe mode. Of course i didnt, and i just get sent
    > back to the login screen.
    >
    > I am fairly new with linux, and dont want to reinstall, so any help
    > would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Also, what should you do when a file freezes? Is there something like
    > ctrl-alt-del?


    Hi Eric,

    That is bad. :-(
    I cannot help you with the problem because I have no idea what caused it.
    (I am running Java for a long time on RH8 now.)

    But about the 'ctrl-alt-del' :-)
    That is a little more sofisticated under Linux, but easy.
    Here are a few commands to get you going:

    top
    Top gives you an overview of SOME processes running ordered by cpu-usage if
    memory serves me well.

    ps -aux
    (There are a lot more options, type: *man ps* to get more info)
    ps will give you an overview of all processes that are running on the
    machine. This can be long, so you may want to use the | more option.
    ps -aux | more

    This gives you a load of information. Pay attention to user and PID
    the user is the one that started this process.
    The PID is the ProcessID

    here comes the next (dangerous) command that will act like your desired
    ctrl-alt-del - functionality:
    kill somepid

    This terminates a process indentified by its PID as you see with commands
    like top and ps.

    So this is what you try:
    try to find the javaprocess and it's pid
    kill it.

    I am sorry I cannot help you with your broken java-installation.
    Good luck!

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller

    >
    > Tanks much!


    Welcome. :-)

    >
    > Erik



  3. Re: I think I broke linux....(installing java)

    One more thing:
    If you want to get some help on the broken java-installation, and nobody can
    help you over here, try: comp.lang.java.help

    It is a good newsgroup, with many experts and losts of them run Linux, so
    maybe you get lucky there.

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller

  4. Re: I think I broke linux....(installing java)

    Erwin Moller wrote in message news:<40752408$0$561$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>...
    > Sikdawg wrote:
    >
    > > I am running Red Hat 9.
    > > I was trying to install java when a few wierd things happened.
    > >
    > > #1. When i finally got java working the ls command in bash stopped
    > > working. I ignored this, and continued.
    > >
    > > #2. I then tried install a .jar file. I typed 'jar bluej-135.jar'
    > > (which is incorrect) and bash froze for 15 minutes. I didnt know what
    > > to do so I closed bash. I figured out I needed to type 'java -jar
    > > bluej-135.jar', and i got a few error messages. it looked something
    > > like this(though im not exactly sure)
    > >
    > > something.something.somethingpen (some error)
    > > something.something.something: (another error)
    > > something.something.something: (another error)
    > > something.something.something: (another error)
    > > etc...
    > >
    > > I then tried rebooting figuring that when I did #2, something was
    > > still running. I logged out, and when I tried logging back in, it
    > > suggested I try failsafe mode. Of course i didnt, and i just get sent
    > > back to the login screen.
    > >
    > > I am fairly new with linux, and dont want to reinstall, so any help
    > > would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Also, what should you do when a file freezes? Is there something like
    > > ctrl-alt-del?

    >
    > Hi Eric,
    >
    > That is bad. :-(
    > I cannot help you with the problem because I have no idea what caused it.
    > (I am running Java for a long time on RH8 now.)
    >
    > But about the 'ctrl-alt-del' :-)
    > That is a little more sofisticated under Linux, but easy.
    > Here are a few commands to get you going:
    >
    > top
    > Top gives you an overview of SOME processes running ordered by cpu-usage if
    > memory serves me well.
    >
    > ps -aux
    > (There are a lot more options, type: *man ps* to get more info)
    > ps will give you an overview of all processes that are running on the
    > machine. This can be long, so you may want to use the | more option.
    > ps -aux | more
    >
    > This gives you a load of information. Pay attention to user and PID
    > the user is the one that started this process.
    > The PID is the ProcessID
    >
    > here comes the next (dangerous) command that will act like your desired
    > ctrl-alt-del - functionality:
    > kill somepid
    >
    > This terminates a process indentified by its PID as you see with commands
    > like top and ps.
    >
    > So this is what you try:
    > try to find the javaprocess and it's pid
    > kill it.
    >
    > I am sorry I cannot help you with your broken java-installation.
    > Good luck!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Erwin Moller
    >
    > >
    > > Tanks much!

    >
    > Welcome. :-)
    >
    > >
    > > Erik


    Thanks for the info, but how do I get past the login screen? It keeps
    sending me back when I log in. Also, when I try using the failsafe
    mode, am I supposed to just type in my normal login? When I do, I
    still get sent back to the login screen.

    Still confused,
    Erik

  5. Re: I think I broke linux....(installing java)

    On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 11:15:01 -0700, Sikdawg wrote:

    > Thanks for the info, but how do I get past the login screen? It keeps
    > sending me back when I log in. Also, when I try using the failsafe
    > mode, am I supposed to just type in my normal login? When I do, I
    > still get sent back to the login screen.
    >
    > Still confused,
    > Erik


    If something locks up the xserver you can switch to a virtual console with:
    CTRL+ALT+F1 (this is vt0)
    There are usually a number configured (six or so), just use
    F1-through-F6.Here you can login and kill the offending application.

    Back to your original post though. This seems like a _really_ weird thing.
    I don't know how red hat configures their systems but it seems strange to
    me that you could completely break it by installing java. How exactly did
    you install java. Was it an official package from red hat? What else did
    you install? In any case, try making an extra login (with "adduser") and
    try logging into X with this login. See if the same problem is there...

    greets,
    Wim

  6. Re: I think I broke linux....(installing java)

    Wim De Smet wrote in message news:...
    > On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 11:15:01 -0700, Sikdawg wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the info, but how do I get past the login screen? It keeps
    > > sending me back when I log in. Also, when I try using the failsafe
    > > mode, am I supposed to just type in my normal login? When I do, I
    > > still get sent back to the login screen.
    > >
    > > Still confused,
    > > Erik

    >
    > If something locks up the xserver you can switch to a virtual console with:
    > CTRL+ALT+F1 (this is vt0)
    > There are usually a number configured (six or so), just use
    > F1-through-F6.Here you can login and kill the offending application.
    >
    > Back to your original post though. This seems like a _really_ weird thing.
    > I don't know how red hat configures their systems but it seems strange to
    > me that you could completely break it by installing java. How exactly did
    > you install java. Was it an official package from red hat? What else did
    > you install? In any case, try making an extra login (with "adduser") and
    > try logging into X with this login. See if the same problem is there...
    >
    > greets,
    > Wim



    Well, I dont think java is the problem. That seemed to work fine. Im
    wondering if it is something i did to my .bashrc file. While i was in
    root, I added a few things, something like PATH = $PATH:/usr/blah....
    The thing is, I think I deleted an extra line or added something I
    didnt need. One line that I wasnt sure about was something like
    "unmount user" or "un-something user or profile." I wish I could get
    in to check it out. But where could I go to see what a standared
    ..bashrc or .bash-profile should look like?

    Erik

  7. Re: I think I broke linux....(installing java)

    That's exactly what you did wrong...I know because I did the same thing
    about 2 hours ago.

    I can't tell you how to fix it, but I can give you the tiniest piece of
    advice.... before modifying a config file.. take the extra 20 seconds to
    copy it and rename it like

    ..bashrc-before

    then try out your changes.. if it messes things up. you can usually get a
    cmd prompt and can delete the bad and rename the old and you should be back
    up and running.


    "Sikdawg" wrote in message
    news:fcbc760a.0404091618.196324e@posting.google.co m...
    > Wim De Smet wrote in message

    news:...
    > > On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 11:15:01 -0700, Sikdawg wrote:
    > >
    > > > Thanks for the info, but how do I get past the login screen? It keeps
    > > > sending me back when I log in. Also, when I try using the failsafe
    > > > mode, am I supposed to just type in my normal login? When I do, I
    > > > still get sent back to the login screen.
    > > >
    > > > Still confused,
    > > > Erik

    > >
    > > If something locks up the xserver you can switch to a virtual console

    with:
    > > CTRL+ALT+F1 (this is vt0)
    > > There are usually a number configured (six or so), just use
    > > F1-through-F6.Here you can login and kill the offending application.
    > >
    > > Back to your original post though. This seems like a _really_ weird

    thing.
    > > I don't know how red hat configures their systems but it seems strange

    to
    > > me that you could completely break it by installing java. How exactly

    did
    > > you install java. Was it an official package from red hat? What else did
    > > you install? In any case, try making an extra login (with "adduser") and
    > > try logging into X with this login. See if the same problem is there...
    > >
    > > greets,
    > > Wim

    >
    >
    > Well, I dont think java is the problem. That seemed to work fine. Im
    > wondering if it is something i did to my .bashrc file. While i was in
    > root, I added a few things, something like PATH = $PATH:/usr/blah....
    > The thing is, I think I deleted an extra line or added something I
    > didnt need. One line that I wasnt sure about was something like
    > "unmount user" or "un-something user or profile." I wish I could get
    > in to check it out. But where could I go to see what a standared
    > .bashrc or .bash-profile should look like?
    >
    > Erik




  8. Re: I think I broke linux....(installing java)

    On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 14:22:41 -0700, Robert wrote:

    > That's exactly what you did wrong...I know because I did the same thing
    > about 2 hours ago.
    >
    > I can't tell you how to fix it, but I can give you the tiniest piece of
    > advice.... before modifying a config file.. take the extra 20 seconds to
    > copy it and rename it like
    >
    > .bashrc-before
    >
    > then try out your changes.. if it messes things up. you can usually get a
    > cmd prompt and can delete the bad and rename the old and you should be back
    > up and running.
    >
    >
    > "Sikdawg" wrote in message
    > news:fcbc760a.0404091618.196324e@posting.google.co m...
    >> Wim De Smet wrote in message

    > news:...
    >> > On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 11:15:01 -0700, Sikdawg wrote:
    >> >
    >> > > Thanks for the info, but how do I get past the login screen? It keeps
    >> > > sending me back when I log in. Also, when I try using the failsafe
    >> > > mode, am I supposed to just type in my normal login? When I do, I
    >> > > still get sent back to the login screen.
    >> > >
    >> > > Still confused,
    >> > > Erik
    >> >
    >> > If something locks up the xserver you can switch to a virtual console

    > with:
    >> > CTRL+ALT+F1 (this is vt0)
    >> > There are usually a number configured (six or so), just use
    >> > F1-through-F6.Here you can login and kill the offending application.
    >> >
    >> > Back to your original post though. This seems like a _really_ weird

    > thing.
    >> > I don't know how red hat configures their systems but it seems strange

    > to
    >> > me that you could completely break it by installing java. How exactly

    > did
    >> > you install java. Was it an official package from red hat? What else did
    >> > you install? In any case, try making an extra login (with "adduser") and
    >> > try logging into X with this login. See if the same problem is there...
    >> >
    >> > greets,
    >> > Wim

    >>
    >>
    >> Well, I dont think java is the problem. That seemed to work fine. Im
    >> wondering if it is something i did to my .bashrc file. While i was in
    >> root, I added a few things, something like PATH = $PATH:/usr/blah....
    >> The thing is, I think I deleted an extra line or added something I
    >> didnt need. One line that I wasnt sure about was something like
    >> "unmount user" or "un-something user or profile." I wish I could get
    >> in to check it out. But where could I go to see what a standared
    >> .bashrc or .bash-profile should look like?
    >>
    >> Erik


    If that is all you have to do to break X then red hat 9 is pretty broken
    IMHO. To the OP: try adding another user, check his .bashrc and copy the
    line you need. That should fix it if Robert is right.

    greets,
    wim

  9. Re: I think I broke linux....(installing java)

    In article Wim De Smet wrote:

    > IMHO. To the OP: try adding another user, check his .bashrc and copy the
    > line you need.


    Why not just compare with the default files in /etc/skel ?

    tony

    --
    use hotmail for any email replies


    -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

  10. Re: I think I broke linux....(installing java)

    On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:51:29 -0500, ynotssor wrote:

    > In article Wim De Smet wrote:
    >
    >> IMHO. To the OP: try adding another user, check his .bashrc and copy the
    >> line you need.

    >
    > Why not just compare with the default files in /etc/skel ?
    >
    > tony


    Yeah that would've been the easy way. Sorry about that.

    Wim

+ Reply to Thread