Newbie trying to get Debian running - Help

This is a discussion on Newbie trying to get Debian running - Help ; Hi, I started Linux on my machine maybe a week ago. I'm trying to get X going but Linux doesn't seem to want to detect my mouse (USB optical). X crashes when I try to get in, and if I ...

  1. Newbie trying to get Debian running

    Hi,
    I started Linux on my machine maybe a week ago. I'm trying to get X
    going but Linux doesn't seem to want to detect my mouse (USB optical).
    X crashes when I try to get in, and if I tell it to ignore the mouse
    it hangs. Any ideas?

    Also, I'm dual booting with XP on another partition on the same hdd. I
    installed XP first, and left the second partition unformatted. XP
    could see it, but I told XP to leave it alone. When I installed Linux
    *bam* the partition disappeared and XP thinks it's normal that an 80G
    hdd suddenly drops to 65G. Linux, however, has no problem seeing the
    Windows partition. Is there any way for XP to recognise the Linux
    partition?

  2. Re: Newbie trying to get Debian running

    Pat wrote:

    > I started Linux on my machine maybe a week ago. I'm trying to get X
    > going but Linux doesn't seem to want to detect my mouse (USB optical).
    > X crashes when I try to get in, and if I tell it to ignore the mouse
    > it hangs. Any ideas?

    Knoppix is based on Debian, and seems to have good hardware detection for X.
    A lot of times I'll boot up a system with Knoppix, copy
    the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file to a floppy, and just plop that in to get X
    going.

    It also does well at auto-detecting sound and network cards, so I've used it
    for that when getting a machine set up as well.

    > Also, I'm dual booting with XP on another partition on the same hdd. I
    > installed XP first, and left the second partition unformatted. XP
    > could see it, but I told XP to leave it alone. When I installed Linux
    > *bam* the partition disappeared and XP thinks it's normal that an 80G
    > hdd suddenly drops to 65G. Linux, however, has no problem seeing the
    > Windows partition. Is there any way for XP to recognise the Linux
    > partition?

    In theory, yes. I've heard of drivers for the ext2 filesystem for Windows.
    However, I haven't tried any of them, so I don't know how reliable they
    are. A quick Google search turns up:

    http://ashedel.chat.ru/ext2fsnt/

    --
    ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey
    /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
    |,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
    '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

  3. Re: Newbie trying to get Debian running

    In article , u2545162
    @anu.edu.au says...
    > Hi,
    > I started Linux on my machine maybe a week ago. I'm trying to get X
    > going but Linux doesn't seem to want to detect my mouse (USB optical).
    > X crashes when I try to get in, and if I tell it to ignore the mouse
    > it hangs. Any ideas?

    You might try re-running xf86config and selecting a different mouse
    (save you X11Config file first).

    > Windows partition. Is there any way for XP to recognise the Linux
    > partition?

    Microsoft wants to believe Linux doesn't exist. There may be soome 3rd
    party drivers out there for XP but I don't know.

+ Reply to Thread