Application time different from system time, redhat linux - Help

This is a discussion on Application time different from system time, redhat linux - Help ; Hi, I am running a Redhat 9 Linux server. My hwclock and system time are synchronised. hwclock shows : Mon 05 Apr 2004 05:16:27 PM CDT -0.800316 seconds date shows : Mon Apr 5 17:16:21 CDT 2004 But when i ...

  1. Application time different from system time, redhat linux

    Hi,

    I am running a Redhat 9 Linux server.

    My hwclock and system time are synchronised.
    hwclock shows : Mon 05 Apr 2004 05:16:27 PM CDT -0.800316 seconds

    date shows : Mon Apr 5 17:16:21 CDT 2004

    But when i access some documents thru the vsftpd server, it shows the
    timestamp 20040405 22:16 on it. There is always a 5 hour difference
    when i access these documents thru ftp. The timestamp in these
    documents which i access through ftp is very important for me.

    Can some one please help me out?

    Thanks
    Ann

  2. Re: Application time different from system time, redhat linux

    On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 15:26:53 -0700, Ann wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am running a Redhat 9 Linux server.
    >
    > My hwclock and system time are synchronised.
    > hwclock shows : Mon 05 Apr 2004 05:16:27 PM CDT -0.800316 seconds
    >
    > date shows : Mon Apr 5 17:16:21 CDT 2004
    >
    > But when i access some documents thru the vsftpd server, it shows the
    > timestamp 20040405 22:16 on it. There is always a 5 hour difference
    > when i access these documents thru ftp. The timestamp in these
    > documents which i access through ftp is very important for me.
    >
    > Can some one please help me out?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ann

    I would say just off hand that you're getting zulu (GMT) time when
    you ftp. I would check the config for GMT vs. local time.

    [follow up set to: comp.os.linux.development.apps]

  3. Re: Application time different from system time, redhat linux

    Ann wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am running a Redhat 9 Linux server.
    >
    > My hwclock and system time are synchronised.
    > hwclock shows : Mon 05 Apr 2004 05:16:27 PM CDT -0.800316 seconds
    >
    > date shows : Mon Apr 5 17:16:21 CDT 2004
    >
    > But when i access some documents thru the vsftpd server, it shows the
    > timestamp 20040405 22:16 on it. There is always a 5 hour difference
    > when i access these documents thru ftp. The timestamp in these
    > documents which i access through ftp is very important for me.
    >
    > Can some one please help me out?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ann

    The ftp server is using GMT time (aka CUT time).
    That is the Unix/Linux default time mode.

    It's not very useful to display the server's Local time
    to a remote ftp user who may be thousands of miles
    away. So, GMT time is always used; then all folks.
    no matter where they are, see the same GMT file times
    and can tell the age of the files relative to their
    own Local time.

    This may be configurable for your ftp server.(?)

    Regards,
    Larry

    -------
    Anti-spam address, change 'X' to '.' to reply directly.

  4. Re: Application time different from system time, redhat linux

    "Ann" wrote in message
    news:cca0635f.0404051426.1e66b45f@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am running a Redhat 9 Linux server.
    >
    > My hwclock and system time are synchronised.
    > hwclock shows : Mon 05 Apr 2004 05:16:27 PM CDT -0.800316 seconds
    >
    > date shows : Mon Apr 5 17:16:21 CDT 2004
    >
    > But when i access some documents thru the vsftpd server, it shows the
    > timestamp 20040405 22:16 on it. There is always a 5 hour difference
    > when i access these documents thru ftp. The timestamp in these
    > documents which i access through ftp is very important for me.
    >
    > Can some one please help me out?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ann

    That's GMT, Greenwich Mean Time. You need to display the local time: check
    the manual pages for vsftpd, especially vsftpd.conf, for the correct
    settings to display local time instead.

  5. Re: Application time different from system time, redhat linux

    "Larry I Smith" wrote in message
    > Ann wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am running a Redhat 9 Linux server.
    > >
    > > My hwclock and system time are synchronised.
    > > hwclock shows : Mon 05 Apr 2004 05:16:27 PM CDT -0.800316 seconds
    > >
    > > date shows : Mon Apr 5 17:16:21 CDT 2004
    > >
    > > But when i access some documents thru the vsftpd server, it shows the
    > > timestamp 20040405 22:16 on it. There is always a 5 hour difference
    > > when i access these documents thru ftp. The timestamp in these
    > > documents which i access through ftp is very important for me.
    > >
    > > Can some one please help me out?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Ann

    > The ftp server is using GMT time (aka CUT time).
    > That is the Unix/Linux default time mode.
    >
    > It's not very useful to display the server's Local time
    > to a remote ftp user who may be thousands of miles
    > away. So, GMT time is always used; then all folks.
    > no matter where they are, see the same GMT file times
    > and can tell the age of the files relative to their
    > own Local time.
    >
    > This may be configurable for your ftp server.(?)

    It is configurable for vsftpd.

    Larry, a lot of folks are only running a *local* FTP server, and consider
    the ease of browsiing the files and their modification or creation times
    without doing conversions in their heads to be more important than
    maintaining an international standard. I had users screaming at me when I
    set up an external server for GMT display, although we were collaborating
    with folks overseas.

  6. Re: Application time different from system time, redhat linux

    Followup to:
    By author: "Nico Kadel-Garcia"
    In newsgroup: comp.protocols.time.ntp

    > It is configurable for vsftpd.
    >
    > Larry, a lot of folks are only running a *local* FTP server, and consider
    > the ease of browsiing the files and their modification or creation times
    > without doing conversions in their heads to be more important than
    > maintaining an international standard. I had users screaming at me when I
    > set up an external server for GMT display, although we were collaborating
    > with folks overseas.

    The big problem is that quite a few GUI FTP clients get the date wrong
    by *a year* if they see a date that appears to be more than ~2 hours
    in the future. Since FTP has no timezone information, a lot of them
    assume their own local timezone, which is of course completely wrong.

    -hpa

    --
    at work, in private!
    If you send me mail in HTML format I will assume it's spam.