Opinions Please - Help

This is a discussion on Opinions Please - Help ; I am a fairly competent windows user who would like to build a new machine and use Linux as the operating system. BTW, I've never mastered dos and used a Mac prior to win98. The ??? is: Am I just ...

  1. Opinions Please

    I am a fairly competent windows user who would like to build a new machine
    and use Linux as the operating system. BTW, I've never mastered dos and used
    a Mac prior to win98. The ??? is: Am I just asking for more trouble that
    it's worth to get involved with Linux? Thanks, I appreciate your comments.

  2. Re: Opinions Please

    Poster wrote:

    > Am I just asking for more trouble that
    > it's worth to get involved with Linux?

    .... nope. try mandrake, lycoris, xandros, or suse
    ..
    Insomnia isn't anything to lose sleep over.

  3. Re: Opinions Please

    Mandrake 9.1, 9.2 and 10 are pretty painless. Can't say I'm over-enthused by
    Linux.

    --
    Yours

    Zebedee

    (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    to escape paying his debts to
    Dougal and Florence)

    "Poster" wrote in message
    > I am a fairly competent windows user who would like to build a new machine
    > and use Linux as the operating system. BTW, I've never mastered dos and

    used
    > a Mac prior to win98. The ??? is: Am I just asking for more trouble that
    > it's worth to get involved with Linux? Thanks, I appreciate your comments.

  4. Re: Opinions Please

    "Poster" wrote in message news:...
    > I am a fairly competent windows user who would like to build a new machine
    > and use Linux as the operating system. BTW, I've never mastered dos and used
    > a Mac prior to win98. The ??? is: Am I just asking for more trouble that
    > it's worth to get involved with Linux? Thanks, I appreciate your comments.

    What has DOS got to do with anything? Strange boy Mac OS 9 is also
    a very different beast, heck, they don't even use right-click on a Mac

    To answer your question, it depends on if you would like to use
    computers. If yes, then Linux is great. It is a stable, fast, secure
    and easy to use computing platform. If you just want to play games,
    then stick to a games console or the Microsoft Windows gaming
    platform.

    For those just starting out in computing, this is a very handy guide:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20..._linux-01.html

    Unfortunately, the computing world is also full of something called
    "jargon". If you get confused by the meaning of a word, then this
    site:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

    will help to give you a more detailed and meaningful explanation of
    virtually any piece of "jargon".

  5. Re: Opinions Please

    In article ,
    Poster wrote:

    >Am I just asking for more trouble that
    >it's worth to get involved with Linux?

    In general, no. For any given piece of hardware or combination of
    hardware, maybe. Depends on what you want to use the computer for,
    also. I run win2k on my file and print server, because I find it much
    simpler to deal with than samba + cups for windows clients. I *know*
    it can be done, but every time I try it's a disaster. I run windows XP
    on my audio workstation, because my audio production applications aren't
    supported on linux, and there's really no linux alternative for most of
    this yet. (People will argue, but, there's really not, even though we're
    getting there.) I also have a windows machine just running oracle db,
    partly due to licensing concerns, and partly due to the fact that the
    linux version plain doesn't work on any install of linux that I will
    run. Everything else, including my sparc, runs linux.

+ Reply to Thread