csh operations and commands - Help

This is a discussion on csh operations and commands - Help ; I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a more concise explaination of what the following commands to. By explanations are not too good as i dont have a good understanding of $*, $ Thanks guys. 1) ...

  1. csh operations and commands

    I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a more concise
    explaination of what the following commands to. By explanations are not too
    good as i dont have a good understanding of $*, $<, $$
    Thanks guys.

    1) sed -e s/$*/[WORDS DELETED]/g
    2) sed -e "s/$ i know what s/xxxxx/yyyyy/g means, but not $* $<

    3) kill -9 $$
    i know $$ is current process, so what is -9?

    4)
    set file=$1
    shift
    set cmd=sed
    foreach n ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 )
    if ( $n <= $#argv ) then
    set cmd="${cmd} -e s/"'\$'"$n/$argv[$n]/g"
    endif
    end
    csh -c "${cmd}" < $file

  2. Re: csh operations and commands

    USAAOKIMO wrote:

    > I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a more concise
    > explaination

    .... ahhhh yes. MIT.edu. homework assignment
    ..
    No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness.

+ Reply to Thread