Re: missing fat32 free space - Help

This is a discussion on Re: missing fat32 free space - Help ; Alsace wrote: > Hi there > > I have a strange problem. > > I have a 30GB fat32 partition that I use to share data between linux > and Windoze. This has worked like a charm, but yesterday linux ...

  1. Re: missing fat32 free space

    Alsace wrote:
    > Hi there
    >
    > I have a strange problem.
    >
    > I have a 30GB fat32 partition that I use to share data between linux
    > and Windoze. This has worked like a charm, but yesterday linux said
    > that the drive was full. Well, it's not -- It works just fine under
    > Windows and is only half filled.
    >
    > A little pusseling output:
    >
    > :~> df -h
    > /dev/hda6 29G 26G 2.5G 92% /
    > /dev/hda7 30G 29G 260M 100% /mnt/data
    > tmpfs 252M 0 252M 0% /dev/shm
    >
    > :~> du -sh /mnt/data/
    > 15G /mnt/data
    >

    > So, the disk usage is 15GB, but df says 29GB used. How do I get my
    > lost disk space back?
    >
    > I have tried using fsck.msdos on the drive, but the df and du reports
    > the same after the check.
    >
    > -Alsace

    Have you tried the Windows Scandisk utility?

    --
    Ben M.

  2. Re: missing fat32 free space

    > Have you tried the Windows Scandisk utility?
    I have now. Can't say if it did the trick or not. I booted Windows and
    moved all the data to another partition so I could reformat it.
    However, before returning to linux I ran Scandisk. Once returned to
    linux, the drive shows the correct free amount again.

    -Jakob

+ Reply to Thread