Hi

I've just installed linux mandrake 9.2 and have ugly fonts to contend
with in all of KDE plus the apps. I've tried some of the tricks in the
fonts howto and the ugly fonts howto but so far without success. Below
is a list of things I've found and things I've done which may enable you
help me.

1. My hardware is Pentium1, 48Mb ram, Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM (S3
968 chip with TI3026 RAMDAC/Clock). This hardware runs Win98 with a
screen resolution of 1024x768 and excellent looking truetype fonts.

2. Version of X installed is 3.3.6. Later versions of X do support the
968 video chip but DO NOT support the TI 3026 RAMDAC).

3. KDE menu selection: Configuration -> KDE -> Information -> X-Server
results in a display of X-server characteristics from which I extracted
them following info:
a) VendorString: MandrakeLinux (XFree86 3.3.6, X-TT 1.3, patch
level 29mdk)
b) Available Screens: Screen #0
I)Dimensions 800x600
ii)Resolutions 75x75 dpi
iii)Depths 24
NOTE: Scree #0 is the only available screen shown

4. Mandrake 9.2 is running xfs

5. I modified the /etc/X11/fs/config file as follows
a) Changed default resolution to 100,100,75,75 (reversed the 75's
and 100's)
b) Changed the Catalogue so /usr/X11R6/X11/fonts/drakfont,
/usr/X11R6/X11/fonts/drakfont/ttf and /usr/X11R6/X11/fonts/TTF are
the first three entries

6. Ran the KDE Menu selection: Configuration -> Configure your computer
(Mandrake Control Center)-> System -> DrakFont. Used DrakFont to import
all the TTF fonts from windows. This ran succesfully.

7. Checked the file /etc/X11/XF86Config. Section "Screen" has Driver
"accel" and Monitor "monitor1". Which obviously references a the
monitor1 section. This section has a seemingly endless list of screen
resolutions.

8. I looked at /etc/X11/Xresources. The only thing that caught my eye
was a line xft.dpi:90, with comment to the effect that it prevents very
large and very small fonts (or something like that).

9. Directory /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/drakfont/ttf has a large selection
of truetype fonts in it plus fonts.cache-1 and fonts.dir. Similarly
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF has lots of truetype fonts in it plus
fonts.cache-1, fonts.dir, and fonts.scale. NOTE: the
/usr/..../drakfont/ttf directory did not have the fonts.scale file in
it.

So my questions are:

1. Why are the fonts still ugly and what else can I try to fix this
situation?
2. Why is X's screen resolution only 800x600 with 75x75.
3. Is "accel" the right (or best) driver for my hardware. (I looked
through the XFree site but couldn't find anything about "accel").
4. What additonal info can I provide that would help?

TIA,
Lenny Wintfeld

ps - If you prefer you can reply to lennyw@comcast.net