Instalation problem with laptop. - Help

This is a discussion on Instalation problem with laptop. - Help ; Hello everybody. My situation is next. * First time installing Linux-RH. * My old laptop has only one slot for floppy/CD-drive, so I can use either floppy drive or CD drive. * Laptop cannot boot from CD. * I created ...

  1. Instalation problem with laptop.

    Hello everybody.

    My situation is next.

    * First time installing Linux-RH.

    * My old laptop has only one slot for floppy/CD-drive, so I can use either
    floppy drive or CD drive.

    * Laptop cannot boot from CD.

    * I created boot-floppy.

    When I start from Linux boot-floppy the installation program asks me to show
    where Linux is located. Of course I cannot show CD-drive at that time
    (because I inserted floppy-drive).

    Can anyone tell me (or send a link) how to make hard drive bootable that I
    boot from HD and start installation from CD. For Windows I always used 'sys
    A: C:'

    Thanks, Dimitri.

  2. Re: Instalation problem with laptop.

    newUser wrote:
    > Hello everybody.
    >
    > My situation is next.
    >
    > * First time installing Linux-RH.
    >
    > * My old laptop has only one slot for floppy/CD-drive, so I can use either
    > floppy drive or CD drive.
    >
    > * Laptop cannot boot from CD.
    >
    > * I created boot-floppy.
    >

    > When I start from Linux boot-floppy the installation program asks me to show
    > where Linux is located. Of course I cannot show CD-drive at that time
    > (because I inserted floppy-drive).
    >

    > Can anyone tell me (or send a link) how to make hard drive bootable that I
    > boot from HD and start installation from CD. For Windows I always used 'sys
    > A: C:'

    Wow, I just last night answered a similar question. Look in the first RH distribution CD for the DOSUTILS directory, there you will find loadlin which can boot linux off a CD from a small DOS partition. There is also a howto on loadlin on the LDP site describing one way to do the boot. I used to do what you are doing with a Compaq 5400, used the DOS trick shell=c:loadlin in config.sys to boot the initial kernel and ramdisk files I had copied to the small dos partition. Google for 'loadlin config.sys' and you will find lots of examples.
    --
    Jim Harvey, Naperville, Ill. Linux person - WB8NBS/9
    He who dies with the most software wins.

  3. thanks Jim(-)

  4. Re: Instalation problem with laptop.

    newUser wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me (or send a link) how to make hard drive bootable that I
    > boot from HD and start installation from CD.

    .... is this laptop networkable? if so, you could do
    a network installation
    ..
    It seems like the less a statesman amounts to,
    the more he loves the flag.

+ Reply to Thread