problems installing PC Card 3COM FE575C - Help

This is a discussion on problems installing PC Card 3COM FE575C - Help ; This is my first thing install RH on a laptop. I installed Fedora on my Thinkpad 240. During the initial install, Fedora did not see my PC Card even with the drivers that I got from the CD (drvnet.img) After ...

  1. problems installing PC Card 3COM FE575C

    This is my first thing install RH on a laptop.
    I installed Fedora on my Thinkpad 240.
    During the initial install, Fedora did not see my PC Card even with
    the drivers that I got from the CD (drvnet.img)

    After the installing, I tried to install pcmcia-cs package but none of
    the drivers would install because the kernel was define with
    CONFIG_PCMCIA.
    And from reading the forums, it seems that kernel 2.4 should have all
    the support for 575C.

    But it see won't see my card.

    removing the card, I see
    cs: cb_free(bus 0)

    inserting the card, I see
    cs: cb_alloc(bus 0): vendor 0x8086, device 0x7192
    PCI: failed to allocate resource 0 (14000000-10bfffff) for 00:00.0
    cs: cb_free (bus 0)
    socket 0: cardbus hotplug device
    cb_alloc(bus 0): vendor 0x8086, device 0x7192
    PCI : failed to allocate resource 0 *same as above
    pci.agent: no modules for PCI slot 00:00.0
    pci.agent: no modules for PCI slot 00:00.0

    so do I have a PCI chipset problem or pcmcia problem, or just a
    configuration problem.

    TIA
    Mark

  2. Re: problems installing PC Card 3COM FE575C

    Il Thu, 04 Mar 2004 09:07:35 -0800, Mark Chang ha scritto:

    > But it see won't see my card.
    >
    > removing the card, I see
    > cs: cb_free(bus 0)

    Please go in pcmcia-cs.sf.net forums where you will find more info.

  3. Re: problems installing PC Card 3COM FE575C

    Mark --

    The 2.4.x series PCMCIA support does not appear to be all that great. If
    you want full-on PCMCIA support for a wide array of products, the best
    course of action is:

    1. Download a "fresh" kernel from ftp.kernel.org OR use your existing
    kernel sources - either way do a recompile, and make sure you do NOT
    include support for PCMCIA.

    (To shortcut this, if Fedora includes a pre-compiled kernel WITHOUT PCMCIA
    support, use that instead.)

    2. Download the PCMCIA Card Services package from
    pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net. Compile and install this, then either reboot
    your machine or do this:

    /etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/network start

    I have the same network card that you do - the 3Com 3CXFE575CT (yours might
    be the 3CCFE575CT), so I know that the above procedures work. It is always
    best to use "fresh" kernel sources, so if you are comfortable doing this,
    it is the preferrable path.

    Best regards,

    Rohan Beckles
    rohan.beckles@virgin.net
    --
    ABit VP6
    2x Intel Pentium III "Coppermine" @ 1.0GHz

  4. Re: problems installing PC Card 3COM FE575C

    In comp.os.linux.portable Mark Chang wrote:

    > removing the card, I see
    > cs: cb_free(bus 0)

    The Thinkpad 240 has a BIOS bug; it configures the CardBus bridges in
    a way that is broken, but the Linux kernel isn't smart enough to
    recognize the breakage.

    Boot with a kernel "pci=assign-busses" parameter and you should be
    fine.

    -- Dave

  5. Re: problems installing PC Card 3COM FE575C

    dhinds@sonic.net wrote in message news:...
    > In comp.os.linux.portable Mark Chang wrote:
    >
    > > removing the card, I see
    > > cs: cb_free(bus 0)

    > The Thinkpad 240 has a BIOS bug; it configures the CardBus bridges in
    > a way that is broken, but the Linux kernel isn't smart enough to
    > recognize the breakage.
    >
    > Boot with a kernel "pci=assign-busses" parameter and you should be
    > fine.
    >
    > -- Dave

    Dave,
    THANKS! That got the PCI bus working right and under 'cardctl info'
    the 3com is finally seen. However, I don't have the right drivers and
    compiling 'pcmcia-cs-3.2.7' does not give me a working '3c575_cb.o'.
    insmod 3c575_cb.o under kernel 2.4.22 gives me
    unresolved symbols : netif_mark_down, unregister_driver,
    netif_mark_up, tx_timeout_check and register_driver.
    I wonder if I'm missing a define or those functions are not supported
    in 2.4.22 anymore?

    Mark

  6. Re: problems installing PC Card 3COM FE575C

    digitalpro@cox.net (Mark Chang) wrote in message news:...
    > This is my first thing install RH on a laptop.
    > I installed Fedora on my Thinkpad 240.
    > During the initial install, Fedora did not see my PC Card even with
    > the drivers that I got from the CD (drvnet.img)
    >
    > After the installing, I tried to install pcmcia-cs package but none of
    > the drivers would install because the kernel was define with
    > CONFIG_PCMCIA.
    > And from reading the forums, it seems that kernel 2.4 should have all
    > the support for 575C.
    >
    > But it see won't see my card.
    >
    > removing the card, I see
    > cs: cb_free(bus 0)
    >
    > inserting the card, I see
    > cs: cb_alloc(bus 0): vendor 0x8086, device 0x7192
    > PCI: failed to allocate resource 0 (14000000-10bfffff) for 00:00.0
    > cs: cb_free (bus 0)
    > socket 0: cardbus hotplug device
    > cb_alloc(bus 0): vendor 0x8086, device 0x7192
    > PCI : failed to allocate resource 0 *same as above
    > pci.agent: no modules for PCI slot 00:00.0
    > pci.agent: no modules for PCI slot 00:00.0
    >
    > so do I have a PCI chipset problem or pcmcia problem, or just a
    > configuration problem.
    >
    > TIA
    > Mark

    OK - I gotten further. I compiled 3c59x.o and pci-scan.o.
    Insmod pci-scan and 3c59x
    ifconfig -a now shows eth0 at IRQ11 base 0x4000
    and the 10/100 link led is on.
    So far so good,
    but ....
    during service network restart
    when it tried to bring up eth0:
    it errors with
    "Cannot get driver information: Operation not supported"

    So the 3c59x.o driver must not have been compiled correctly??

    I feel like I'm getting closer...

  7. Re: problems installing PC Card 3COM FE575C

    digitalpro@cox.net (Mark Chang) wrote in message news:...

    > OK - I gotten further. I compiled 3c59x.o and pci-scan.o.
    > Insmod pci-scan and 3c59x
    > ifconfig -a now shows eth0 at IRQ11 base 0x4000
    > and the 10/100 link led is on.
    > So far so good,
    > but ....
    > during service network restart
    > when it tried to bring up eth0:
    > it errors with
    > "Cannot get driver information: Operation not supported"
    >
    > So the 3c59x.o driver must not have been compiled correctly??
    >

    > I feel like I'm getting closer...

    Well, that didn't work - so I added the "pci=assign-busses" to my
    linux boot disk and did the installation again.
    This time, RH setup saw my NIC.
    But after installation everything, the PCI bus is down again?
    Any ideas why the PCI bus is flaky?
    How can I restart the PCI support once booted. I think it might be a
    lantecy problem.
    TIA

  8. Re: problems installing PC Card 3COM FE575C

    In comp.os.linux.portable Mark Chang wrote:

    > THANKS! That got the PCI bus working right and under 'cardctl info'
    > the 3com is finally seen. However, I don't have the right drivers and
    > compiling 'pcmcia-cs-3.2.7' does not give me a working '3c575_cb.o'.

    The correct driver for your kernel is 3c59x and you've already got
    it. You should not try to install the pcmcia-cs drivers.

    -- Dave

  9. Re: problems installing PC Card 3COM FE575C

    In comp.os.linux.portable Mark Chang wrote:

    > OK - I gotten further. I compiled 3c59x.o and pci-scan.o.

    Err, Fedora already provides a 3c59x driver. You obtained this driver
    from Donald Becker's site?

    > Insmod pci-scan and 3c59x
    > ifconfig -a now shows eth0 at IRQ11 base 0x4000
    > and the 10/100 link led is on.
    > So far so good,
    > but ....
    > during service network restart
    > when it tried to bring up eth0:
    > it errors with
    > "Cannot get driver information: Operation not supported"
    >
    > So the 3c59x.o driver must not have been compiled correctly??

    You compiled it fine. But, you should not have compiled it at all.
    This driver does not have all the functionality of the kernel 3c59x
    driver, and it is choking the Fedora network configuration scripts.

    -- Dave

  10. Re: problems installing PC Card 3COM FE575C

    In comp.os.linux.portable Mark Chang wrote:

    > Well, that didn't work - so I added the "pci=assign-busses" to my
    > linux boot disk and did the installation again.
    > This time, RH setup saw my NIC.
    > But after installation everything, the PCI bus is down again?

    I don't know what this means. A PCI bus cannot be "down" or "up".

    You should say exactly what happens when you insert the card. That
    means showing system log messages.

    -- Dave

+ Reply to Thread