Tutorial on Writing Scripts for Newbie? - Help

This is a discussion on Tutorial on Writing Scripts for Newbie? - Help ; Can anyone suggest a good site with a tutorial on writing scripts? I assume that "scripts" is the right word -- I'd like to write what we used to call "batch files" back in the DOS days. I'd just like ...

  1. Tutorial on Writing Scripts for Newbie?

    Can anyone suggest a good site with a tutorial on writing scripts?

    I assume that "scripts" is the right word -- I'd like to write what we
    used to call "batch files" back in the DOS days.

    I'd just like to write a script I can run to periodically zip together
    a bunch of config files off my server for backup.

    Thanks, in advance! -Cloy

  2. Re: Tutorial on Writing Scripts for Newbie?

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.questions.]
    On 4 Mar 2004 05:03:15 -0800, Cloy Tobola wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest a good site with a tutorial on writing scripts?
    >
    > I assume that "scripts" is the right word -- I'd like to write what we
    > used to call "batch files" back in the DOS days.
    >
    > I'd just like to write a script I can run to periodically zip together
    > a bunch of config files off my server for backup.

    http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html

  3. Re: Tutorial on Writing Scripts for Newbie?

    "Cloy Tobola" wrote in message
    news:bd11c9dd.0403040503.cc822a5@posting.google.co m

    > Can anyone suggest a good site with a tutorial on writing scripts?
    >
    > I assume that "scripts" is the right word -- I'd like to write what we
    > used to call "batch files" back in the DOS days.
    >
    > I'd just like to write a script I can run to periodically zip together
    > a bunch of config files off my server for backup.

    http://www.linuxorbit.com/modules.ph...icle&artid=459

    will be useful for you.

    tony

    --
    use hotmail for any email replies

  4. Re: Tutorial on Writing Scripts for Newbie?

    cloy@tobola.com (Cloy Tobola) wrote in message news:...
    > Can anyone suggest a good site with a tutorial on writing scripts?
    >
    > I assume that "scripts" is the right word -- I'd like to write what we
    > used to call "batch files" back in the DOS days.
    >
    > I'd just like to write a script I can run to periodically zip together
    > a bunch of config files off my server for backup.
    >
    > Thanks, in advance! -Cloy

    A good place to start is here: http://www.google.com/linux

    You can enter search terms in the box, e.g.

    http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr...=Google+Search

  5. Re: Tutorial on Writing Scripts for Newbie?

    Mattias Honrendgard wrote:
    > A good place to start is here: http://www.google.com/linux

    Cool. I'm a long term googler and am suprised I didn't know about that one!

    Thanks,
    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------
    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?
    big legal departments as they:
    years of harassment).

    before its too late.

    ----------------

  6. Re: Tutorial on Writing Scripts for Newbie?

    Cloy Tobola wrote:

    > Can anyone suggest a good site with a tutorial on writing scripts?

    http://www.newtolinux.org.uk/wiki/in...ll%20Scripting
    http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/HOWTO/B...tro-HOWTO.html
    ..
    On-line, adj.: The idea that a human being
    should always be accessible to a computer.

  7. Re: Tutorial on Writing Scripts for Newbie?

    On 4 Mar 2004 05:03:15 -0800, cloy@tobola.com (Cloy Tobola) wrote:

    >Can anyone suggest a good site with a tutorial on writing scripts?
    >
    >I assume that "scripts" is the right word -- I'd like to write what we
    >used to call "batch files" back in the DOS days.
    >
    >I'd just like to write a script I can run to periodically zip together
    >a bunch of config files off my server for backup.
    >
    >Thanks, in advance! -Cloy

    Not really an answer to your question, but might help anyway -
    'script' is a generic term. If you want to make the equivilant of a
    DOS bat file, you want to make a 'shell script', and there are
    (technically) several different shells, with generally but not always
    identical capabilities.

    It's very likely you're using the bash (Bourne Again) shell, so you
    should probably google for 'bash shell script'.

    Mike-

    --
    Mornings: Evolution in action. Only the grumpy will survive.
    --

    Please note - Due to the intense volume of spam, we have installed site-wide spam
    filters at catherders.com. If email from you bounces, try non-HTML, non-encoded,