Compaq Small Form Factor Problems??? - Help

This is a discussion on Compaq Small Form Factor Problems??? - Help ; I am trying to get Linux running on my Compaq deskpro P2 128MB SFF computer. - The one with the slim CDROM drive. I've tried it with red hat 8, mandrake 9 and even knoppix in live mode (if that's ...

  1. Compaq Small Form Factor Problems???

    I am trying to get Linux running on my Compaq deskpro P2 128MB SFF
    computer. - The one with the slim CDROM drive. I've tried it with red hat 8,
    mandrake 9 and even knoppix in live mode (if that's what it's called).

    The problem is with the cdrom drive I think. It can boot from cd , but when
    it gets into setup it goes through a few things and then stops (something to
    do with ramdisk).

    I have a feeling it may be struggling to load the installation program from
    the cd into ram because its a strange CD drive (i.e.. not the usual 5 1/4"
    powered one).

    The disks themselves are fine because I've done other installations from
    them.

    Has anyone come across a similar problem with the slim cdrom drives on the
    Compaq deskpro?

    I'm really quite stuck as to what to do. Any help would be much appreciated.

    thanks for any replies.

  2. Re: Compaq Small Form Factor Problems???

    Peter Taylor wrote:
    > I am trying to get Linux running on my Compaq deskpro P2 128MB SFF
    > computer. - The one with the slim CDROM drive. I've tried it with red hat 8,
    > mandrake 9 and even knoppix in live mode (if that's what it's called).
    >
    > The problem is with the cdrom drive I think. It can boot from cd , but when
    > it gets into setup it goes through a few things and then stops (something to
    > do with ramdisk).

    Can you post the error message (please try to quote verbatim)?

    > I have a feeling it may be struggling to load the installation program from
    > the cd into ram because its a strange CD drive (i.e.. not the usual 5 1/4"
    > powered one).

    Um, yeah. The error message please.

    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------
    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?
    big legal departments as they:
    years of harassment).

    before its too late.

    ----------------

  3. Re: Compaq Small Form Factor Problems???

    "Peter Taylor" wrote in message news:<404722bc_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>...
    > I am trying to get Linux running on my Compaq deskpro P2 128MB SFF
    > computer. - The one with the slim CDROM drive. I've tried it with red hat 8,
    > mandrake 9 and even knoppix in live mode (if that's what it's called).
    >
    > The problem is with the cdrom drive I think. It can boot from cd , but when
    > it gets into setup it goes through a few things and then stops (something to
    > do with ramdisk).

    This indicates a problem setting up memory for the ramdisk needed to
    load the kernel image and run init -- till this operates correctly
    setup is a no-go.

    > I have a feeling it may be struggling to load the installation program from
    > the cd into ram because its a strange CD drive (i.e.. not the usual 5 1/4"
    > powered one).

    It may be possible that it's drive or drive setup related, but I doubt
    it. Suspect it's not reading/mapping ram properly due to the way BIOS
    is setting things up. Double check your distros installation
    guide/readme file for a way to get past this.

    > The disks themselves are fine because I've done other installations from
    > them.
    >
    > Has anyone come across a similar problem with the slim cdrom drives on the
    > Compaq deskpro?

    Compaqs have a way of providing hair-pulling experiences with
    _some_specific_ models. The likely age of yours suggests special
    incantations of magic secrets may be needed.

    > I'm really quite stuck as to what to do. Any help would be much appreciated.
    >
    > thanks for any replies.

    Explicit error messages are needed together with specific Compaq
    model. Specific CD model may also be needed -- you may have to go to
    tech support to get this if you don't have eg., Win running on the
    box.

    If you do have Win running any info re: your hardware and hard disk
    layout would be nice.

    You likely need a BIOS update (aka ROMPAQ) and/or a Compaq diagnostics
    floppy to get some needed info and test for possibility of bad ram.

    With collected info you can Google both the web and groups with a
    searches similar to this:
    Compaq model# Linux install
    or
    Compaq model# yourLinuxDistro install

    Some Compaqs just need coaxing to get up and running properly. Share
    your info here if you can't find a ready-made solution.

    Compaq tech support sites are changing -- try here:
    Support entry portal
    http://h71025.www7.hp.com/support/home/index.asp

    Files/upgrades for all Compaqs
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/index.html

    Reference Library
    http://h71025.www7.hp.com/support/ho...untrycode=1000
    This led to 116 advisories listed for this series -- you'll have to
    plow through these on your own.

    While there grab any and all tech info/files you can -- you may not be
    able to find them easily again if/when you need them.

    hth,
    prg
    email above disabled

  4. Re: Compaq Small Form Factor Problems???

    Sorted it now, I just used another CDROM drive to install from. Thanks for
    the replies.
    "Peter Taylor" wrote in message
    > I am trying to get Linux running on my Compaq deskpro P2 128MB SFF
    > computer. - The one with the slim CDROM drive. I've tried it with red hat

    8,
    > mandrake 9 and even knoppix in live mode (if that's what it's called).
    >
    > The problem is with the cdrom drive I think. It can boot from cd , but

    when
    > it gets into setup it goes through a few things and then stops (something

    > do with ramdisk).
    >
    > I have a feeling it may be struggling to load the installation program

    from
    > the cd into ram because its a strange CD drive (i.e.. not the usual 5 1/4"
    > powered one).
    >
    > The disks themselves are fine because I've done other installations from
    > them.
    >
    > Has anyone come across a similar problem with the slim cdrom drives on the
    > Compaq deskpro?
    >
    > I'm really quite stuck as to what to do. Any help would be much

    appreciated.

    > thanks for any replies.

+ Reply to Thread