Dual Boot Question - Help

This is a discussion on Dual Boot Question - Help ; Hello, I have a Dell Laptop running Windows XP. Is there a tool/software that allows me to partition the internal disk without destroying the existing Windows OS. I would like to install Redhat 9 on the second partition. Thanks for ...

  1. Dual Boot Question

    Hello,
    I have a Dell Laptop running Windows XP. Is there a tool/software
    that allows me to partition the internal disk without destroying the
    existing Windows OS. I would like to install Redhat 9 on the second
    partition. Thanks for your suggestions.

    Julia

  2. Re: Dual Boot Question

    julia131@netzero.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I have a Dell Laptop running Windows XP. Is there a tool/software
    > that allows me to partition the internal disk without destroying the
    > existing Windows OS. I would like to install Redhat 9 on the second
    > partition. Thanks for your suggestions.

    doesn't the redhat 9 install disk allow you to resize your XP partition?
    i thought it did? if not, try mandrake, i know it can resize NTFS.
    just be sure to run 'defrag' on the winXP box before you attempt the
    install.

    --
    Woolsey-Swanson Rule:
    People would rather live with a problem they cannot solve

    remove '.eh' to email

  3. Re: Dual Boot Question

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 10:30:44 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > julia131@netzero.com wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> I have a Dell Laptop running Windows XP. Is there a tool/software
    >> that allows me to partition the internal disk without destroying the
    >> existing Windows OS. I would like to install Redhat 9 on the second
    >> partition. Thanks for your suggestions.

    > doesn't the redhat 9 install disk allow you to resize your XP partition?
    > i thought it did? if not, try mandrake, i know it can resize NTFS.
    > just be sure to run 'defrag' on the winXP box before you attempt the
    > install.

    Anything that diddles with the partition table and the master boot record
    is risky. Partition Magic is a Windows XP application that can
    nondestructively resize and move partitions and create new partitions,
    including Linux ext3 and swap partitions, but it warns you to back up
    everything important before proceeding. Believe it.

  4. Re: Dual Boot Question

    julia131@netzero.com wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I have a Dell Laptop running Windows XP. Is there a tool/software
    > that allows me to partition the internal disk without destroying the
    > existing Windows OS. I would like to install Redhat 9 on the second
    > partition. Thanks for your suggestions.
    >
    > Julia

    I suggest that you fetch Mandrake 9.2 and use its installer to partition
    your disk non-destructively for linux, install the linux and install
    the Linux Loader (lilo) into the MBR to act as a boot manager to boot
    either linux and windows as you choose.

    Just put the install disk in, tell it how much of the drive you want to
    free up for linux and then accept the defaults. Choose all the
    workstation alternatives. Mandrake will automatically shrink the
    partition, install linux on the freed part and set up a dual boot
    system.

    (probably RedHat will also shrink a NTFS partition non-destructively,
    but I know for sure that Mandrake 9.2 will do it because I have
    installed it in my machine over a pre-existing Win2000 NTFS partition)

    Clive

  5. Re: Dual Boot Question

    Stephen J. Rush wrote:
    > On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 10:30:44 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >

    >>julia131@netzero.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>I have a Dell Laptop running Windows XP. Is there a tool/software
    >>>that allows me to partition the internal disk without destroying the
    >>>existing Windows OS. I would like to install Redhat 9 on the second
    >>>partition. Thanks for your suggestions.

    >>doesn't the redhat 9 install disk allow you to resize your XP partition?
    >>i thought it did? if not, try mandrake, i know it can resize NTFS.
    >>just be sure to run 'defrag' on the winXP box before you attempt the
    >>install.

    > Anything that diddles with the partition table and the master boot record
    > is risky. Partition Magic is a Windows XP application that can
    > nondestructively resize and move partitions and create new partitions,
    > including Linux ext3 and swap partitions, but it warns you to back up
    > everything important before proceeding. Believe it.
    >

    > nondestructively resize and move

    LOL

    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------
    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?
    big legal departments as they:
    years of harassment).

    before its too late.

    ----------------

  6. Re: Dual Boot Question

    Stephen J. Rush wrote:

    > Partition Magic is a Windows XP application that can
    > nondestructively resize and move partitions and create new partitions,
    > including Linux ext3 and swap partitions, but it warns you to back up
    > everything important before proceeding. Believe it.

    believe it - no kidding!
    ironically, i've only once tried partition magic on an XP install, to
    make room for a dual-boot linux partition, and it totally f'd up the mbr
    or partition tables. i could no longer boot to XP after the partition
    magic resizing. and i didn't know enough to find/fix the problem. so i
    lost everything.
    mandrake's repartitioning tool, on the other hand, has never once
    screwed anything up, for my dual-boot installs.

    --
    Woolsey-Swanson Rule:
    People would rather live with a problem they cannot solve
    than accept a solution they cannot understand.

    remove '.eh' to email

  7. Partition Magic (-)

    .....> Julia

  8. Re: Dual Boot Question

    julia131@netzero.com wrote:

    > internal disk without destroying the
    > existing Windows OS.**I*would*like*to*install

    .... spend some time researching Xandros Deluxe - it'll
    resize XP-NTFS partitions and get you a great Linux distro
    ..
    Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship
    of Jackals by Jackasses. - H. L. Mencken

  9. Re: Dual Boot Question

    Ultra wrote:
    > johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >
    >>> Hello,
    >>> I have a Dell Laptop running Windows XP. Is there a tool/software
    >>> that allows me to partition the internal disk without destroying the
    >>> existing Windows OS. I would like to install Redhat 9 on the second
    >>> partition. Thanks for your suggestions.

    > Use Partition Magic
    >
    >> doesn't the redhat 9 install disk allow you to resize your XP partition?

    > It does (as long as I remember)
    >
    >> i thought it did? if not, try mandrake, i know it can resize NTFS.
    >> just be sure to run 'defrag' on the winXP box before you attempt the
    >> install.

    Try partition magic, it works great, and stable. I have use it on
    multiple occassions without any problems

  10. Re: Dual Boot Question

    Roger wrote in message news:...
    > Ultra wrote:

    > > Use Partition Magic
    > >
    > >> doesn't the redhat 9 install disk allow you to resize your XP partition?

    > > It does (as long as I remember)
    > >
    > >> i thought it did? if not, try mandrake, i know it can resize NTFS.
    > >> just be sure to run 'defrag' on the winXP box before you attempt the
    > >> install.
    > >>

    > Try partition magic, it works great, and stable. I have use it on
    > multiple occassions without any problems

    I know with Debian you can dual boot---Just read a howto(LILO!!)--If
    you got the latest Woody release, once you can boot up debian, you can
    edit your lilo (boot loader) file by reading a howto(Just look at
    debian.org)

    Esher2292

+ Reply to Thread