Using adobe viewer as a plugin - Help

This is a discussion on Using adobe viewer as a plugin - Help ; I have a Linux server at my office and a Win2000 machine at home. I use the Mozilla browser on both. I have the adobe reader on both, as well as a xpdf on the Linux server. When I sign ...

  1. Using adobe viewer as a plugin

    I have a Linux server at my office and a Win2000 machine at home. I
    use the Mozilla browser on both. I have the adobe reader on both, as
    well as a xpdf on the Linux server. When I sign on to an ftp site
    that has pdf files and I click on one of them I get the file displayed
    on the windows machine, but the Linux machine just shows a blank
    screen. Is there any way to get either the adobe reader or xpdf
    (prefereably the latter, which seems to be more robust) to act as a
    plugin for Mozilla?

    Michael Barr

  2. Re: Using adobe viewer as a plugin

    Michael Barr wrote:
    > I have a Linux server at my office and a Win2000 machine at home. I
    > use the Mozilla browser on both. I have the adobe reader on both, as
    > well as a xpdf on the Linux server. When I sign on to an ftp site
    > that has pdf files and I click on one of them I get the file displayed
    > on the windows machine, but the Linux machine just shows a blank
    > screen. Is there any way to get either the adobe reader or xpdf
    > (prefereably the latter, which seems to be more robust) to act as a
    > plugin for Mozilla?
    >
    > Michael Barr

    What distrubution/version of Linux?

    Is it only when using ftp? Or does it do the same with http?

    Please, be more specific. http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------
    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?
    big legal departments as they:
    years of harassment).

    before its too late.

    ----------------

  3. Re: Using adobe viewer as a plugin

    Ben Measures wrote in message news:<%sr1c.419$5V5.300@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>...
    > Michael Barr wrote:
    > > I have a Linux server at my office and a Win2000 machine at home. I
    > > use the Mozilla browser on both. I have the adobe reader on both, as
    > > well as a xpdf on the Linux server. When I sign on to an ftp site
    > > that has pdf files and I click on one of them I get the file displayed
    > > on the windows machine, but the Linux machine just shows a blank
    > > screen. Is there any way to get either the adobe reader or xpdf
    > > (prefereably the latter, which seems to be more robust) to act as a
    > > plugin for Mozilla?
    > >
    > > Michael Barr

    > What distrubution/version of Linux?
    >
    > Is it only when using ftp? Or does it do the same with http?
    >
    > Please, be more specific. http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    >
    > --
    > Ben M.
    >
    > ----------------
    > What are Software Patents for?
    > To protect the small enterprise from bigger companies.
    >
    > What do Software Patents do?
    > In its current form, they protect only companies with
    > big legal departments as they:
    > a.) Patent everything no matter how general
    > b.) Sue everybody. Even if the patent can be argued
    > invalid, small companies can ill-afford the
    > typical $500k cost of a law-suit (not to mention
    > years of harassment).
    >
    > Don't let them take away your right to program
    > whatever you like. Make a stand on Software Patents
    > before its too late.
    >
    > Read about the ongoing battle at http://swpat.ffii.org/
    > ----------------

    It is Redhat Linux, version 9. The Mozilla is whatever came with it.
    The Mozilla on my Windows 2000 machine is version 5.

  4. Re: Using adobe viewer as a plugin

    Michael Barr wrote:
    > Ben Measures wrote in message news:<%sr1c.419$5V5.300@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>...
    >
    >>Michael Barr wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a Linux server at my office and a Win2000 machine at home. I
    >>>use the Mozilla browser on both. I have the adobe reader on both, as
    >>>well as a xpdf on the Linux server. When I sign on to an ftp site
    >>>that has pdf files and I click on one of them I get the file displayed
    >>>on the windows machine, but the Linux machine just shows a blank
    >>>screen. Is there any way to get either the adobe reader or xpdf
    >>>(prefereably the latter, which seems to be more robust) to act as a
    >>>plugin for Mozilla?
    >>>
    >>>Michael Barr

    >>What distrubution/version of Linux?
    >>
    >>Is it only when using ftp? Or does it do the same with http?
    >>
    >>Please, be more specific. http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    >>
    >>--
    >>Ben M.
    >>

    > It is Redhat Linux, version 9. The Mozilla is whatever came with it.
    > The Mozilla on my Windows 2000 machine is version 5.

    See this page:
    http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html

    Installing acrobat reader from that page (and following the
    instructions) might sort your problem. (I suspect it has something to do
    with conflicting compiler versions.)

    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------
    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?
    big legal departments as they:
    years of harassment).

    before its too late.

    ----------------

  5. Re: Using adobe viewer as a plugin

    Michael Barr wrote:
    > I have a Linux server at my office and a Win2000 machine at home. I
    > use the Mozilla browser on both. I have the adobe reader on both, as
    > well as a xpdf on the Linux server. When I sign on to an ftp site
    > that has pdf files and I click on one of them I get the file displayed
    > on the windows machine, but the Linux machine just shows a blank
    > screen. Is there any way to get either the adobe reader or xpdf
    > (prefereably the latter, which seems to be more robust) to act as a
    > plugin for Mozilla?
    >
    > Michael Barr

    Does the URL aboutlugins show the acrobat reader plugin? if not you need to find the file nppdf.so and copy or symlink it into your mozilla/plugins directory.
    --
    Jim Harvey, Naperville, Ill. Linux person - WB8NBS/9
    He who dies with the most software wins.

+ Reply to Thread