Knoppix - Help

This is a discussion on Knoppix - Help ; Hi guys, I recently downloaded a knoppix ISO, but for the life of me I cannot get the CD to boot. I have tried various burning options with no luck. Can anyone suggest how to create an auto booting Knoppix ...

  1. Knoppix

    Hi guys, I recently downloaded a knoppix ISO, but for the life of me I
    cannot get the CD to boot.

    I have tried various burning options with no luck.

    Can anyone suggest how to create an auto booting Knoppix cd?

    TIA

    --
    rda

  2. Re: Knoppix

    rda wrote:
    > Hi guys, I recently downloaded a knoppix ISO, but for the life of me I
    > cannot get the CD to boot.
    >
    > I have tried various burning options with no luck.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest how to create an auto booting Knoppix cd?
    >

    > TIA

    Please be more specific. http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    How far do you get? What is the error message the computer gives you
    (please, no paraphrasing)?

    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------
    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?
    big legal departments as they:
    years of harassment).

    before its too late.

    ----------------

  3. Re: Knoppix

    Ben Measures

    > > Hi guys, I recently downloaded a knoppix ISO, but for the life of me I
    > > cannot get the CD to boot.
    > >
    > > I have tried various burning options with no luck.
    > >
    > > Can anyone suggest how to create an auto booting Knoppix cd?
    > >

    > > TIA

    > Please be more specific.

    > How far do you get? What is the error message the computer gives you
    > (please, no paraphrasing)?

    Well I used to have a knoppix CD that would just boot from startup & run
    fine. I fancied giving it another try and hence downloaded this
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html. I extracted the files
    & burnt them to a CD but it would not boot and XP loaded instead. I then
    tried burning the contents of the knoppix folder onto a bootable CD, and
    this did indeed boot & loaded Caldera DOS in ramdisk , but I have no idea
    what to do from there.

    Sorry if Im being a PITA.

    --
    rda

  4. Re: Knoppix

    "Ben Measures

    > > Hi guys, I recently downloaded a knoppix ISO, but for the life of me I
    > > cannot get the CD to boot.
    > >
    > > I have tried various burning options with no luck.
    > >
    > > Can anyone suggest how to create an auto booting Knoppix cd?
    > >

    > > TIA

    > Please be more specific.

    > How far do you get? What is the error message the computer gives you
    > (please, no paraphrasing)?

    Got it. Thanks anyway!

    --
    rda

  5. Re: Knoppix

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=34673
    Did you burn the "file" to the CD, or did you use the "file" as an "image"
    to be burned to your CD?

    The ISO file is a image file, used in burning software to write the file as
    an image to the CD, not just a file.

    In something like Nero Burning CD, you would point Nero to the ISO file as
    an image, Nero would then look at the ISO file, and use it to "make" the CD
    from the ISO file. So, if all you did was burn the ISO file onto a CD, then
    you now have a backup copy of your ISO file, and it won't boot because its
    not the image, but a file.

  6. Re: Knoppix

    "rda" wrote in message

    > "Ben Measures
    >
    > > > Hi guys, I recently downloaded a knoppix ISO, but for the life of me I
    > > > cannot get the CD to boot.
    > > >
    > > > I have tried various burning options with no luck.
    > > >
    > > > Can anyone suggest how to create an auto booting Knoppix cd?

    When making the disk bootable... you got to point it to the boot.img file in
    theknoppix directory....
    Nero asks for a boot file...
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqDownloading

    --