tar: memory exhausted - help needed !!! - Help

This is a discussion on tar: memory exhausted - help needed !!! - Help ; I am trying to back up my Windows installation, using Linux tar. I mount the Windows partition using: mount /dev/hda2 /windows I then use: tar cvf /backup/winxp.tar -X pagefile.sys /windows I expected this to back up everything except the swap ...

  1. tar: memory exhausted - help needed !!!

    I am trying to back up my Windows installation, using Linux tar.

    I mount the Windows partition using:

    mount /dev/hda2 /windows

    I then use:

    tar cvf /backup/winxp.tar -X pagefile.sys /windows

    I expected this to back up everything except the swap file.

    The system stops with an error:

    tar: memory exhausted

    How can I resolve this problem ?

  2. Re: tar: memory exhausted - help needed !!!

    my only suggestion would be to do it in parts

  3. Re: tar: memory exhausted - help needed !!!

    In comp.os.linux.help Mark Hobley wrote:
    > I am trying to back up my Windows installation, using Linux tar.

    > I mount the Windows partition using:

    > mount /dev/hda2 /windows

    > I then use:

    > tar cvf /backup/winxp.tar -X pagefile.sys /windows

    What? Why? What does -X do on tar? On my manpage it says:

    -X, --exclude-from FILE

    which is NOT what you want! It is trying to read the contents of the
    swapfile as a list of files to exclude.

    Try again, this time "properly" .

    > I expected this to back up everything except the swap file.

    Why? The man page doesn't say that. You are confusing exclude-from with
    exclude.

    > The system stops with an error:

    > tar: memory exhausted

    > How can I resolve this problem ?

    By reading the man page correctly, essentially. But I daresay just
    writing --exclude instad of "-X" might do it.

    Peter

  4. Re: tar: memory exhausted - help needed !!!

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:00:25 GMT, ptb@oboe.it.uc3m.es (P.T. Breuer)
    wrote:

    >What? Why? What does -X do on tar? On my manpage it says:
    >
    > -X, --exclude-from FILE

    Oh right. I followed an example from a Linux system admin book. This
    said use -X to exclude a file.

    The example given was -X /proc/*, which basically excluded the /proc
    directory.

    It said nothing about producing a list of files for exclusion.

    I presumed the same would work with a single file.

    I just wanted to exclude the swap file.

+ Reply to Thread