Last night I was trying to create a boot floppy for my Debain Woody
installation, and I found a newsgroup thread that recommended the
following two commands:

root@localhost# dd if=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-5-686 of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024
root@localhost# rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/hdc2

/dev/hdc2 is my boot paritition.

Well, the boot floppy didn't work, but my real problem is that now my
system won't boot. I get a different error message every time, otherwise
I'd include it this post. Usually, it has something to do with missing
module dependencies.

I did some reading up on rdev this morning and found that it actually
can alter your boot image, and that they don't recommend using it that
way anymore. Oh well, I'll read the man page next time I try a new command.

Can anyone please help me "resurrect" my system? Here's the pertinent
information. If you need anything else, please let me know.

- boot partition: /dev/hdc2
- preferred kernel location: vmlinuz-2.4.21-5-686
- This is the stock 2.4.21 Debian kernel. I didn't compile it.
- I am using initrd. (/initrd.img)
- I am using lilo.

Thanks in advance for any help. It's greatly appreciated!

Tom Purl