How to prevent modules from loading - Help

This is a discussion on How to prevent modules from loading - Help ; I'm using Mandrake 9.2 and I notice several modules being loaded for hardware that I either don't use or don't have. lp, parport, ide-tape, ide-floppy and some others. I realize that it probably doesn't matter to have them loaded, but ...

  1. How to prevent modules from loading

    I'm using Mandrake 9.2 and I notice several modules being loaded for
    hardware that I either don't use or don't have. lp, parport,
    ide-tape, ide-floppy and some others. I realize that it probably
    doesn't matter to have them loaded, but if for no other reason than
    just knowing, I would like to know how to prevent them from loading.

    At what point in the boot process are these modules loaded? What
    file(s) controls it? I've looked in /etc/modprobe* and /etc/modules*
    but I don't see where they are being explicitly loaded. Are the
    modules loaded through some kind of automatic hardware detection? And
    if so - why is loading modules for hardware I don't have?

  2. Re: How to prevent modules from loading

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 19:23:10 -0800, David wrote:

    > I'm using Mandrake 9.2 and I notice several modules being loaded for
    > hardware that I either don't use or don't have. lp, parport,
    > ide-tape, ide-floppy and some others. I realize that it probably
    > doesn't matter to have them loaded, but if for no other reason than
    > just knowing, I would like to know how to prevent them from loading.
    >
    > At what point in the boot process are these modules loaded? What
    > file(s) controls it? I've looked in /etc/modprobe* and /etc/modules*
    > but I don't see where they are being explicitly loaded. Are the
    > modules loaded through some kind of automatic hardware detection? And
    > if so - why is loading modules for hardware I don't have?

    It sounds like hotplug's doing. If it is, add the unwanted modules
    in /etc/hotplug/blacklist.

    --
    Charlie Kim
    mailto:charliekim@everestkc.net