Problems with tar backup to tape - Help

This is a discussion on Problems with tar backup to tape - Help ; I am trying to create a tar backup to tape. The command I am running is as follows: tar -cvpf /dev/nst0 --label="tar backup" /files/archive --totals I would like the tar backup to run until the tape is full then quit ...

  1. Problems with tar backup to tape

    I am trying to create a tar backup to tape. The command I am running
    is as follows:

    tar -cvpf /dev/nst0 --label="tar backup" /files/archive --totals

    I would like the tar backup to run until the tape is full then quit
    and rewind the tape.

    The problem is this. I run the script containing the above command,
    and redirect the standard-out to a file. The tar process starts and
    seems to be writing to the tape, but at some point the tape stops (at
    the end of tape?) but the tar process kept going. I could verify this
    by running a tail -f on the output file. I am currently running a tar
    xvf against the tape to see what it shows as being on the tape. The
    tape drive is a DLT7000 (35GB) but according to the output file the
    tar command processed over 130GB of data, before I killed it. The
    files are already compressed on the disk, so compression on the tape
    doesn't seem to be a factor.

    Wouldn't the tar process die once it couldn't write to the tape (EOT)?

  2. Re: Problems with tar backup to tape

    On 13 Feb 2004 09:29:52 -0800, wazzu wrote:

    > I am trying to create a tar backup to tape. The command I am running
    > is as follows:
    >
    > tar -cvpf /dev/nst0 --label="tar backup" /files/archive --totals
    >
    > I would like the tar backup to run until the tape is full then quit
    > and rewind the tape.
    >
    > The problem is this. I run the script containing the above command,
    > and redirect the standard-out to a file. The tar process starts and
    > seems to be writing to the tape, but at some point the tape stops (at
    > the end of tape?) but the tar process kept going. I could verify this
    > by running a tail -f on the output file. I am currently running a tar
    > xvf against the tape to see what it shows as being on the tape. The
    > tape drive is a DLT7000 (35GB) but according to the output file the
    > tar command processed over 130GB of data, before I killed it. The
    > files are already compressed on the disk, so compression on the tape
    > doesn't seem to be a factor.
    >
    > Wouldn't the tar process die once it couldn't write to the tape (EOT)?

    IME tar stops on write error at end of tape.
    If you want auto-rewind use st0 instead of nst0.

  3. Re: Problems with tar backup to tape

    wazzu wrote:

    > Wouldn't the tar process die once it couldn't write to the tape (EOT)?

    Forget the whole thing and use amanda to do this.

    --
    Ruurd
    ..o.

+ Reply to Thread