Problem using Jaz drive on RH9 - Help

This is a discussion on Problem using Jaz drive on RH9 - Help ; I have a new 2-CPU machine (2.5 GHz Intel Zeon processors) with a 2GB Iomega Jaz drive (SCSI) running RH9 with the 2.4.20-20.9smp kernel. The problem is that the drive will not accept a disk long enough for me to ...

  1. Problem using Jaz drive on RH9

    I have a new 2-CPU machine (2.5 GHz Intel Zeon processors) with a 2GB
    Iomega Jaz drive (SCSI) running RH9 with the 2.4.20-20.9smp kernel. The
    problem is that the drive will not accept a disk long enough for me to
    do anything with it. I tried a disk right out of the box (PC formatted,
    which Linux should understand), but when I insert it into the drive, the
    access light flashes for a few seconds and then the disk is ejected.

    On bootup, nothing unusually appears in dmesg:

    scsi2 : sym53c8xx-1.7.3c-20010512
    blk: queue f7b78e18, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
    Vendor: iomega Model: jaz 2GB Rev: E.17
    blk: queue f7b78c18, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
    Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi2, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
    sym53c860-0-<4,*>: FAST-20 SCSI 20.0 MB/s (50.0 ns, offset 8)
    sdb : READ CAPACITY failed.
    sdb : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 28
    Current sd00:00: sense key Not Ready
    Additional sense indicates Medium not present
    sdb : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
    sdb: I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 0
    automount startup succeeded
    I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 0
    unable to read partition table

    The READ CAPACITY and related errors I figure are normal because no disk
    is in the drive. The old Zip drive on my old machine did the same thing
    and it worked fine. The only thing that looked odd was the "block size
    assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB", which appears to conflict with
    the device detection information.

    The Jaz drive HOWTO doesn't appear to have anything on this. Iomega's
    site did have something about the disk ejecting immediately, but the
    steps it suggested to try to remedy the situation (powering down the
    machine, inserting disk, holding the disk in the drive (!) while the
    machine boots up) seemed a solution more suited for MS than Linux. I
    tried it anyway with the same result. The disk has no obvious damage to
    it, and it is the correct type (2GB).

    A more hardware-oriented person I know (I'm better with software rather
    than hardware) seems to think it is a bad disk, but I was curious to see
    if anyone else encountered this before I attempt to exchange the disk.

    Thanks in advance.

    Pete

  2. Re: Problem using Jaz drive on RH9

    Peter Stewart wrote:
    > I have a new 2-CPU machine (2.5 GHz Intel Zeon processors) with a 2GB
    > Iomega Jaz drive (SCSI) running RH9 with the 2.4.20-20.9smp kernel. The
    > problem is that the drive will not accept a disk long enough for me to
    > do anything with it. I tried a disk right out of the box (PC formatted,
    > which Linux should understand), but when I insert it into the drive, the
    > access light flashes for a few seconds and then the disk is ejected.
    >
    > On bootup, nothing unusually appears in dmesg:
    >
    > scsi2 : sym53c8xx-1.7.3c-20010512
    > blk: queue f7b78e18, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
    > Vendor: iomega Model: jaz 2GB Rev: E.17
    > Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    > blk: queue f7b78c18, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
    > Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi2, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
    > sym53c860-0-<4,*>: FAST-20 SCSI 20.0 MB/s (50.0 ns, offset 8)
    > sdb : READ CAPACITY failed.
    > sdb : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 28
    > Current sd00:00: sense key Not Ready
    > Additional sense indicates Medium not present
    > sdb : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
    > sdb: I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 0
    > automount startup succeeded
    > I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 0
    > unable to read partition table
    >
    > The READ CAPACITY and related errors I figure are normal because no disk
    > is in the drive. The old Zip drive on my old machine did the same thing
    > and it worked fine. The only thing that looked odd was the "block size
    > assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB", which appears to conflict with
    > the device detection information.
    >
    > The Jaz drive HOWTO doesn't appear to have anything on this. Iomega's
    > site did have something about the disk ejecting immediately, but the
    > steps it suggested to try to remedy the situation (powering down the
    > machine, inserting disk, holding the disk in the drive (!) while the
    > machine boots up) seemed a solution more suited for MS than Linux. I
    > tried it anyway with the same result. The disk has no obvious damage to
    > it, and it is the correct type (2GB).
    >
    > A more hardware-oriented person I know (I'm better with software rather
    > than hardware) seems to think it is a bad disk, but I was curious to see
    > if anyone else encountered this before I attempt to exchange the disk.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Pete

    Everyone can disregard this message. I did a little experimentation
    where I both tried another disk and tried putting the disk in during
    POST before LILO even started, and the disk was still ejected before
    Linux was even loaded. This likely rules out a Linux problem and points
    to a hardware problem with the drive. The company that sold me the
    machine has already agreed to send a new drive, so I'll wait and see if
    that solves the problem.

    Pete

+ Reply to Thread