cups printing problem "cannot open connection to localhost;connection refused" - Help

This is a discussion on cups printing problem "cannot open connection to localhost;connection refused" - Help ; I have just installed Slackware 9.1 and I am trying to get cups working with my old laserjet. When I print a testpage from the cups setup it comes out fine, but if I try to print a test page ...

  1. cups printing problem "cannot open connection to localhost;connection refused"

    I have just installed Slackware 9.1 and I am trying to get cups working
    with my old laserjet. When I print a testpage from the cups setup it
    comes out fine, but if I try to print a test page using lpr test.ps, I
    get the following message " connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
    cannot open connection to localhost - Connection refused
    Make sure the remote host supports the LPD protocol
    and accepts connections from this host and from non-privileged (>1023)
    ports

    If I run checkpc -f I get the following message

    Warning - Laserjet: Bad printcap entry - missing 'sd' or 'client' entry?
    Warning - printers: Bad printcap entry - missing 'sd' or 'client' entry?

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: cups printing problem "cannot open connection to localhost; connectionrefused"

    Mike Veenhuizen wrote:
    > I have just installed Slackware 9.1 and I am trying to get cups working
    > with my old laserjet. When I print a testpage from the cups setup it
    > comes out fine, but if I try to print a test page using lpr test.ps, I
    > get the following message " connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
    > cannot open connection to localhost - Connection refused
    > Make sure the remote host supports the LPD protocol
    > and accepts connections from this host and from non-privileged (>1023)
    > ports
    >
    > If I run checkpc -f I get the following message
    >
    > Warning - Laserjet: Bad printcap entry - missing 'sd' or 'client' entry?
    > Warning - printers: Bad printcap entry - missing 'sd' or 'client' entry?
    >
    > Any ideas?

    I am not sure of your problems with cups but I have had trouble making
    cups 1.1.19 work properly. I had no problems in Slackware 9 so I removed
    cups 19 and installed cups 18 from my slack 9 cd and away I go. No more
    printing problems.
    Just a chance it may help.

    --
    Leo (Bing) Whiteway in Kelowna, BC, Canada: Ham calls: VE7UW and VE7OKV
    Ignorance is not an excuse but stupidity is. You may be excused.

+ Reply to Thread