Disk partition information lost - Help

This is a discussion on Disk partition information lost - Help ; I have had all partition information erased, probably by xsane. My question is: Can I recover what is on the disk, and how. If I use fdisk and use the same partition size information, will the original material still be ...

  1. Disk partition information lost

    I have had all partition information erased, probably by xsane. My
    question is: Can I recover what is on the disk, and how. If I use fdisk
    and use the same partition size information, will the original material
    still be there, or is it lost forever?

  2. Re: Disk partition information lost

    Mike Veenhuizen wrote:
    > I have had all partition information erased, probably by xsane. My
    > question is: Can I recover what is on the disk, and how. If I use fdisk
    > and use the same partition size information, will the original material
    > still be there, or is it lost forever?

    Yes you can recover it completely. I have lost my partition table a few
    times and as I always make a file:
    fdisk /dev/hda >> part
    I can always go back and redo it and lose nothing.
    I suppose that is only true if you have not done too much trying other
    ways to fix it.
    I hope that helps

    --
    Leo (Bing) Whiteway in Kelowna, BC, Canada: Ham calls: VE7UW and VE7OKV
    Ignorance is not an excuse but stupidity is. You may be excused.

+ Reply to Thread