Authentication - Help

This is a discussion on Authentication - Help ; Hi All, Can anybody tell me how to authenticate users on a Linux computer against their passwords on a Windows 2000 domain (i.e., the user has an account in the windows domain but when s/he logs on a Linux machine, ...

  1. Authentication

    Hi All,
    Can anybody tell me how to authenticate users on a Linux computer against
    their passwords
    on a Windows 2000 domain (i.e., the user has an account in the windows
    domain but when s/he logs on a Linux machine, we use the
    authentication from the Windows 2000 domain).

    Thanks a lot.

  2. Re: Authentication

    MINAL wrote:

    > Hi All,
    > Can anybody tell me how to authenticate users on a Linux computer against
    > their passwords
    > on a Windows 2000 domain (i.e., the user has an account in the windows
    > domain but when s/he logs on a Linux machine, we use the
    > authentication from the Windows 2000 domain).
    >
    > Thanks a lot.

    I think Samba can do that for you.
    But that will only help you with
    filesharing/printersharing/windowsnetworking I expect.

    If you want a 'real' useraccount on a *nix machine for use with ssh and
    such, I think you should really create these users on the machine.

    But.... me no expert on this subject. :-)

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller

  3. Re: Authentication

    PMINal2002@hotmail.COM (MINAL) wrote in message news:<68184e04.0402101336.4b9c8283@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi All,
    > Can anybody tell me how to authenticate users on a Linux computer against
    > their passwords
    > on a Windows 2000 domain (i.e., the user has an account in the windows
    > domain but when s/he logs on a Linux machine, we use the
    > authentication from the Windows 2000 domain).
    >
    > Thanks a lot.

    You'll be better off doing it the other way around. Set up the
    authentication server on Linux and get the Linux and Windows users to
    authenticate against that.

+ Reply to Thread