Is there an 'rsync' that works with FTP files - Help

This is a discussion on Is there an 'rsync' that works with FTP files - Help ; I must do the things rsync does but i can only use an FTP server at one side of the sync. Is there a good free FTP synchronization tool for linux ?...

  1. Is there an 'rsync' that works with FTP files

    I must do the things rsync does but i can only use an FTP server at
    one side of the sync. Is there a good free FTP synchronization tool
    for linux ?

  2. Re: Is there an 'rsync' that works with FTP files

    Lothar Scholz wrote:
    > I must do the things rsync does but i can only use an FTP server at
    > one side of the sync. Is there a good free FTP synchronization tool
    > for linux ?

    You could use lftp. (My fav. ftp program)

    lftp has a 'mirror .' command which does the trick, though not as effecient
    as rsync would.

    There's probably a lot more options, have a look at CPAN if you're inclined
    toward a perl solution. (seems like there were some ftp solutions they were
    using to synchronize their archive among hosts)

    Jamie

  3. Re: Is there an 'rsync' that works with FTP files

    thumb_42@yahoo.com wrote in message news:...
    > Lothar Scholz wrote:
    > > I must do the things rsync does but i can only use an FTP server at
    > > one side of the sync. Is there a good free FTP synchronization tool
    > > for linux ?

    > You could use lftp. (My fav. ftp program)
    >
    > lftp has a 'mirror .' command which does the trick, though not as effecient
    > as rsync would.

    I updated to the latest version, but this program is still too buggy. I
    don't want to use something that is so unrealiable.

  4. Re: Is there an 'rsync' that works with FTP files

    Lothar Scholz wrote:
    > I must do the things rsync does but i can only use an FTP server at
    > one side of the sync. Is there a good free FTP synchronization tool
    > for linux ?

    fmirror - memory efficient ftp mirror program
    ftpgrab - file mirroring utility
    ftpmirror - Mirroring directory hierarchy with FTP
    mirror - Keeps FTP archives up-to-date

    All of these are available under Debian Testing as follows

    Package: fmirror
    Version: 2:0.8.4-12
    A program for mirroring a directory from a remote ftp server. It
    allows regex-matching for files that are to be included and
    excluded. It uses a combination of timestamp, file size and file
    permissions to decide what files to transfer from the ftp server.

    Package: ftpgrab
    Version: 0.1.2r-6
    ftpgrab is a utility for maintaining FTP mirrors. In fact not unlike the
    "Mirror" perl program. However ftpgrab is oriented towards the smaller
    site which doesn't have the resources to mirror entire version trees of
    software.

+ Reply to Thread