cannot connect ssh to Linux from Windows using putty or cygwyn - Help

This is a discussion on cannot connect ssh to Linux from Windows using putty or cygwyn - Help ; I am trying to setup my Linux machine on my home network: 1. Linux Running Fedora Core 1 - Wireless n/w card 2. Win XP 3. Wireless Router with DHCP I have configured a static Ip for Linux. my /etc/hosts: ...

  1. cannot connect ssh to Linux from Windows using putty or cygwyn

    I am trying to setup my Linux machine on my home network:
    1. Linux Running Fedora Core 1 - Wireless n/w card
    2. Win XP
    3. Wireless Router with DHCP

    I have configured a static Ip for Linux.

    my /etc/hosts:
    127.0.0.1 .............
    192.168.0.10

    Now when I run ssh from this Linux machine itself it connects.
    But when I use my windows machine to connect to this IP using ssh - it
    dosent connect.

    Please help.

  2. Re: cannot connect ssh to Linux from Windows using putty or cygwyn

    Bharat Kapoor wrote:
    > I am trying to setup my Linux machine on my home network:
    > 1. Linux Running Fedora Core 1 - Wireless n/w card
    > 2. Win XP
    > 3. Wireless Router with DHCP
    >
    > I have configured a static Ip for Linux.
    >
    > my /etc/hosts:
    > 127.0.0.1 .............
    > 192.168.0.10
    >
    > Now when I run ssh from this Linux machine itself it connects.
    > But when I use my windows machine to connect to this IP using ssh - it
    > dosent connect.

    Might be that inbound SSH packets are being dropped.

    Post the output of `iptables -L INPUT` and `iptables -L
    RH-Firewall-1-INPUT`.

    Does anyone know if there's a firewall GUI for Fedora? There's one
    during the graphical install, but there doesn't appear to be any
    appropriate redhat-config-* command for it. Also, maybe I'm
    misremembering but I recall a text-based firewall editor a la kudzu in
    Red Hat Linux 8.0.

  3. Re: cannot connect ssh to Linux from Windows using putty or cygwyn

    On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 04:06:23 GMT, "Bharat Kapoor"
    wrote:

    Many Many possibilities here. If its stock Fedora and you used the
    default config, you might have a problem with the default iptables
    config. Try doing a "/etc/init.d/iptables stop", then try to ssh.

    Is the wireless stuff working correctly? Can you ping the wireless
    router, most of them will answer to pings on the LAN port. and IIRC
    the Default iptables setup will allow outbound pings. If you can ping
    the wireless router can you ping the XP machine.

    -neoaeon

    >I am trying to setup my Linux machine on my home network:
    >1. Linux Running Fedora Core 1 - Wireless n/w card
    >2. Win XP
    >3. Wireless Router with DHCP
    >
    >I have configured a static Ip for Linux.
    >[snip]
    >Now when I run ssh from this Linux machine itself it connects.
    >But when I use my windows machine to connect to this IP using ssh - it
    >dosent connect.
    >[snip]

  4. Re: cannot connect ssh to Linux from Windows using putty or cygwyn

    HI jzilla & neoaeon - Thanks

    OK I have ssh working but need help still:

    `iptables -L INPUT`
    target prot opt source destination

    `iptables -L RH-Firewall-1-INPUT`.
    target prot opt source destination
    ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere
    ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere
    ACCEPT ipv6-crypt -- anywhere anywhere
    ACCEPT ipv6-auth -- anywhere anywhere
    ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere
    REJECT all -- anywhere anywhere

    Now as neoaeon said I stopped /etc/init.d/iptales stop - ssh worked
    But when I turn on it stops.

    What am I missing. I have no idea about iptables.

  5. Re: cannot connect ssh to Linux from Windows using putty or cygwyn

    Bharat Kapoor wrote:

    > OK I have ssh working but need help still:
    >
    > `iptables -L INPUT`
    > target prot opt source destination

    Does 'Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)' appear before the 'target' line?

    > `iptables -L RH-Firewall-1-INPUT`.
    > target prot opt source destination
    > ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere
    > ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere
    > ACCEPT ipv6-crypt -- anywhere anywhere
    > ACCEPT ipv6-auth -- anywhere anywhere
    > ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere
    > ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere
    > REJECT all -- anywhere anywhere
    >

    > Now as neoaeon said I stopped /etc/init.d/iptales stop - ssh worked
    > But when I turn on it stops.
    >
    > What am I missing. I have no idea about iptables.

    Are you sure that's the output of `iptables -L INPUT`? I was expecting
    something more like:

    target prot opt source destination
    RH-Firewall-1-INPUT all -- anywhere anywhere

    Without the RH-Firewall target in the INPUT chain, SSH packets should be
    accepted by default. Can anyone confirm this?

  6. Re: cannot connect ssh to Linux from Windows using putty or cygwyn

    U r right

    It was the way u mentioned it. Well I was running to another m/c to mail so
    a packet got lost

    Disabling it works - what other option do i have.

    "jzilla" wrote in message
    news:40287aa8$0$1753$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net.a u...
    > Bharat Kapoor wrote:
    > >
    > > OK I have ssh working but need help still:
    > >
    > > `iptables -L INPUT`
    > > target prot opt source destination

    > Does 'Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)' appear before the 'target' line?
    >
    > > `iptables -L RH-Firewall-1-INPUT`.
    > > target prot opt source

    destination
    > > ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere
    > > ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere
    > > ACCEPT ipv6-crypt -- anywhere

    anywhere
    > > ACCEPT ipv6-auth -- anywhere

    anywhere
    > > ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere
    > > ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere
    > > REJECT all -- anywhere anywhere
    > >

    > > Now as neoaeon said I stopped /etc/init.d/iptales stop - ssh worked
    > > But when I turn on it stops.
    > >
    > > What am I missing. I have no idea about iptables.

    > Are you sure that's the output of `iptables -L INPUT`? I was expecting
    > something more like:
    >
    > target prot opt source destination
    > RH-Firewall-1-INPUT all -- anywhere anywhere
    >
    > Without the RH-Firewall target in the INPUT chain, SSH packets should be
    > accepted by default. Can anyone confirm this?

  7. Re: cannot connect ssh to Linux from Windows using putty or cygwyn

    maverick wrote:
    > U r right
    >
    > It was the way u mentioned it. Well I was running to another m/c to mail so
    > a packet got lost
    >
    > Disabling it works - what other option do i have.

    You could open the firewall for SSH access.

    Incoming packets are checked by iptables against the conditions and
    either dropped or accepted and it seems your Windows machine's SSH
    packets are being dropped. By default, sshd listens on port 22, so
    you'll want to have the firewall accept incoming TCP connections on that
    port.

    The iptables will be something like:

    `iptables -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT`

    Have a read of the iptables man page.

    > "jzilla" wrote in message
    > news:40287aa8$0$1753$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net.a u...
    >
    >>Bharat Kapoor wrote:
    >>
    >>>OK I have ssh working but need help still:
    >>>
    >>>`iptables -L INPUT`
    >>>target prot opt source destination

    >>Does 'Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)' appear before the 'target' line?
    >>

    >>>`iptables -L RH-Firewall-1-INPUT`.
    >>>target prot opt source

    > destination
    >
    >>>ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere
    >>>ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere
    >>>ACCEPT ipv6-crypt -- anywhere

    > anywhere
    >
    >>>ACCEPT ipv6-auth -- anywhere

    > anywhere
    >
    >>>ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere
    >>>ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere
    >>>REJECT all -- anywhere anywhere
    >>>

    >>>Now as neoaeon said I stopped /etc/init.d/iptales stop - ssh worked
    >>>But when I turn on it stops.
    >>>
    >>>What am I missing. I have no idea about iptables.

    >>Are you sure that's the output of `iptables -L INPUT`? I was expecting
    >>something more like:
    >>
    >>target prot opt source destination
    >>RH-Firewall-1-INPUT all -- anywhere anywhere
    >>
    >>Without the RH-Firewall target in the INPUT chain, SSH packets should be
    >>accepted by default. Can anyone confirm this?

  8. Re: cannot connect ssh to Linux from Windows using putty or cygwyn

    jzilla wrote in message news:<40287aa8$0$1753$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net.au>...
    > Bharat Kapoor wrote:
    > >
    > > OK I have ssh working but need help still:

    > > Now as neoaeon said I stopped /etc/init.d/iptales stop - ssh worked
    > > But when I turn on it stops.
    > >
    > > What am I missing. I have no idea about iptables.

    Like a previous poster mentioned, it would probably be easier for you
    to use a GUI to manage your firewall. No doubt you'll want to make
    further rule changes, so best to get happy with doing it now. There
    are lots of GUIs available, but I particularly like FWBuilder
    (http://www.fwbuilder.org). You may also like to consider webmin; that
    also has an IPtables management module (among many, many others).

+ Reply to Thread