new install dual boot sys - Help

This is a discussion on new install dual boot sys - Help ; I am running windows XP and have just installed FEDORA as well.... Installation went fine however, LINUX will not boot. Not with the boot floppy or as a choice for a dual boot system. Only Windows will boot. I can ...

  1. new install dual boot sys

    I am running windows XP and have just installed FEDORA as well....

    Installation went fine however, LINUX will not boot. Not with the boot
    floppy or as a choice for a dual boot system. Only Windows will boot. I
    can not change the boot sequence or determine how to do that....
    (Linux installed on MBR)
    root was 2.5 gig
    ext3 was 16gig
    swap was 4 gig

    HELP!?!?!?!?!?

  2. Re: new install dual boot sys

    Patricia & Colin wrote:
    > I am running windows XP and have just installed FEDORA as well....
    >
    > Installation went fine however, LINUX will not boot. Not with the boot
    > floppy or as a choice for a dual boot system. Only Windows will boot. I
    > can not change the boot sequence or determine how to do that....
    > (Linux installed on MBR)
    > root was 2.5 gig
    > ext3 was 16gig
    > swap was 4 gig
    >
    > HELP!?!?!?!?!?

    There is not enough information here to diagnose the problem.

    Rather than panic, please post the exact error message you get.

    Ben M.

    ----------------
    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?
    big legal departments as they:
    years of harassment).

    before its too late.

    ----------------

  3. Re: new install dual boot sys

    Ben Measures wrote:
    > Patricia & Colin wrote:
    >
    >> I am running windows XP and have just installed FEDORA as well....
    >>
    >> Installation went fine however, LINUX will not boot. Not with the boot
    >> floppy or as a choice for a dual boot system. Only Windows will
    >> boot. I
    >> can not change the boot sequence or determine how to do that....
    >> (Linux installed on MBR)
    >> root was 2.5 gig
    >> ext3 was 16gig
    >> swap was 4 gig
    >>
    >> HELP!?!?!?!?!?

    > There is not enough information here to diagnose the problem.

    Windows XP Professional (and I presume other versions) has been known to
    overwrite bootloader code in the MBR without warning. The practical
    effect is that only Windows boots.

    I recommend avoiding the headache and using two separate, physical disks
    or a boot floppy, at least until Windows plays nice with GRUB and LILO.

  4. Re: new install dual boot sys

    Looking for a date/hookup/sex partner?
    http://accfq2.linksysnet.com:999/match/index2.htm

    ^^ Free dating services & Swingers Pages! ^^
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Need a Loan or a Credit Card? Our loan pages are the best
    http://accfq2.linksysnet.com:999/loan/index.htm

    100% Guaranteed Credit Cards and Loans, EVEN IF YOU HAVE BAD CREDIT!
    Also, Signature Cash advances, and debt consolidation! Check us out today.

    Looking for adult Videos? DVDs? VHS? Toys? Look no further.
    http://shop.sex-superstore.com/cgi-s...ex.cgi?af=5971
    Guaranteed BEST price anywhere.. $9.99 XXX DVD Section! Free dildo with
    any order over $50! Check us out today!

    "Patricia & Colin" wrote in message
    > I am running windows XP and have just installed FEDORA as well....
    >
    > Installation went fine however, LINUX will not boot. Not with the boot
    > floppy or as a choice for a dual boot system. Only Windows will boot. I
    > can not change the boot sequence or determine how to do that....
    > (Linux installed on MBR)
    > root was 2.5 gig
    > ext3 was 16gig
    > swap was 4 gig