USB question - Help

This is a discussion on USB question - Help ; To get Mandrake v9.2 to boot I have to use "nousb" in the boot sequence - but then no usb stuff works. How do I turn USB back on once booted?...

  1. USB question

    To get Mandrake v9.2 to boot I have to use "nousb" in the boot sequence
    - but then no usb stuff works. How do I turn USB back on once booted?

  2. Re: USB question

    Carl O'Hallahan wrote:
    > To get Mandrake v9.2 to boot I have to use "nousb" in the boot sequence
    > - but then no usb stuff works. How do I turn USB back on once booted?

    Errrm, reboot *without* the 'nousb' option?

    If you have a situation where you sometimes don't want to start with USB
    but 'load' support for it later then you should compile usb support as a
    kernel module instead (of compiled-in).

    This way, you can prevent the module from autoloading on startup (via
    /etc/modules.autoload or similar), and load it at a later date with a
    few simple commands, eg. 'modprobe -k usb-uhci'.

    If you don't know what I'm on about, you'd best find out before making
    any 'adjustments' to your kernel. Have a look around for "Kernel
    Compilation Howtos".

    --
    Ben M.

    What are Software Patents for?