usb hard drive sharing - Help

This is a discussion on usb hard drive sharing - Help ; I am about to purchase a 180gig external hard drive that will be used with a laptoprunning linux and a pc runinng windows. I am looking for a good filesystem to use on it. Fat32 is out of the question ...

  1. usb hard drive sharing

    I am about to purchase a 180gig external hard drive that will be used with a
    laptoprunning linux and a pc runinng windows. I am looking for a good
    filesystem to use on it. Fat32 is out of the question as I commonly use
    files in excess of 8 gigs both windows and linux have a solution for the
    file size problem but is there a filesystem that both can read and write to
    safely. I know there was a patch floating around that would let linux write
    to ntfs but it was unstable. If there is not a filesytem that both can write
    to is it possible to make it ntfs and then mount it as a samba share or can
    linux still not write to it then ?

    Any help is greatly apprecieated.

    Bruce
    www.smalltownpoets.net

  2. Re: usb hard drive sharing

    Bruce Durham posted on Sat, 07 Feb 2004 10:59:28 -0500:

    > is it possible to make it ntfs and

    leave it connected to the PC running Windows. Share the drive in Windows
    then from Linux mount the shared drive via Samba. Or you could format the
    drive with a Linux filesystem like xfs or jfs and share the external hard
    drive's partition(s) via Samba or NFS from the Linux laptop. The
    filesystem of the drive makes no difference when reading/writing to it
    when it's a networked shared resource.

    It might be a good idea to partition the drive for 'stand-alone' use on
    either system. One partition for native Windows usage and one for Linux.
    Linux can at least read NTFS and with the installation of the explore2fs
    (http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm) you can read the
    ext2/3 filesystems from Windows.

    --
    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

  3. Re: usb hard drive sharing

    "Lenard" wrote in message
    newsan.2004.02.08.16.24.15.934740@127.0.0.1...
    > Bruce Durham posted on Sat, 07 Feb 2004 10:59:28 -0500:
    >
    > > is it possible to make it ntfs and

    > leave it connected to the PC running Windows. Share the drive in Windows
    > then from Linux mount the shared drive via Samba. Or you could format the
    > drive with a Linux filesystem like xfs or jfs and share the external hard
    > drive's partition(s) via Samba or NFS from the Linux laptop. The
    > filesystem of the drive makes no difference when reading/writing to it
    > when it's a networked shared resource.
    >
    > It might be a good idea to partition the drive for 'stand-alone' use on
    > either system. One partition for native Windows usage and one for Linux.
    > Linux can at least read NTFS and with the installation of the explore2fs
    > (http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm) you can read the
    > ext2/3 filesystems from Windows.
    >

    > --
    > Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

    Thank you for your help.

+ Reply to Thread