Kernel 2.6.2 and Thinkpad suspend - Help

This is a discussion on Kernel 2.6.2 and Thinkpad suspend - Help ; In the past I used kernel 2.4.20 quite successfully and during that time the APM suspend worked perfectly. Now it does not. Closing the lid or issuing the apm -S (or apm -s) command simply powers it down but the ...

  1. Kernel 2.6.2 and Thinkpad suspend

    In the past I used kernel 2.4.20 quite successfully and during that time
    the APM suspend worked perfectly. Now it does not. Closing the lid or
    issuing the apm -S (or apm -s) command simply powers it down but the
    little suspend light never comes on. When I press a ket to wake it back
    up, it cmes back on but the fan does not. That is until I force a disk
    access by doing a man or ls that is not cached.

    I am aware of problems with APM in the 2.6.x kernels and I have tried
    various patches found on the net. Some are i8042 related, some are kernel
    related, some are apm related. None have worked. I get the feeling that
    this problem is not being addressed but I know I must just not be loking
    in the right place. Has anyone found a fix for what I think is a general
    problem with APM? Are there any other Thinkpad users (A20M) that have a
    resolution? Yes, I could go back to my earlier kernel but I don't want to
    say uncle just yet.

    I have a Thinkpad (A20M)2628-4TU with 256M RAM and am running Slackware
    9.1 and kernel 2.6.2.

    Thanks for your help.
    Best,
    -Al

  2. Re: Kernel 2.6.2 and Thinkpad suspend

    Al Arduengo wrote:
    > I have a Thinkpad (A20M)2628-4TU with 256M RAM and am running Slackware
    > 9.1 and kernel 2.6.2.
    >
    > In the past I used kernel 2.4.20 quite successfully and during that time
    > the APM suspend worked perfectly. Now it does not.

    Oh yeah?

    > Closing the lid or
    > issuing the apm -S (or apm -s) command simply powers it down but the
    > little suspend light never comes on.

    What a shame.

    > When I press a ket to wake it back
    > up, it cmes back on but the fan does not. That is until I force a disk
    > access by doing a man or ls that is not cached.

    Perhaps that's not the fan you're hearing but the harddisk spinning.

    Even if the fan doesn't always run, is that such a problem? I personally
    would think this a "feature", the fan not running 'till I needed it.

    > I am aware of problems with APM in the 2.6.x kernels and I have tried
    > various patches found on the net. Some are i8042 related, some are kernel
    > related, some are apm related. None have worked. I get the feeling that
    > this problem is not being addressed but I know I must just not be loking
    > in the right place. Has anyone found a fix for what I think is a general
    > problem with APM? Are there any other Thinkpad users (A20M) that have a
    > resolution? Yes, I could go back to my earlier kernel but I don't want to
    > say uncle just yet.

    ACPI has come a _long_ way since the 2.4 series, why don't you give that
    a go and see what happens?

    --
    Ben M.

    What are Software Patents for?