make dep? No, Argument list too long. - Help

This is a discussion on make dep? No, Argument list too long. - Help ; Hello, I'm having trouble with the "make dep" command. It gives me the error: /bin/sh: line 1: scripts/mkdep: Argument list too long I'm running fedora with kernel version 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl and XFree86 version 4.3.0-42 I searched on the internet a bit ...

  1. make dep? No, Argument list too long.

    Hello,

    I'm having trouble with the "make dep" command. It gives me the error:

    /bin/sh: line 1: scripts/mkdep: Argument list too long

    I'm running fedora with kernel version 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl and XFree86
    version 4.3.0-42

    I searched on the internet a bit for an answer and I've found that
    usually I would be told to "split up the commands," but I don't know how to
    make "make" do that. All of the basic fixes I found are at
    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6060 Also I found a website
    where someone had the same problem and the fix:

    - Alejandro Mery: linux24 - mkdep: "Argument list too long" fix
    updated stackprotector for gcc33 and 2.95
    ..cache files for mnemoc repository's 'O' packages
    updated samba (3.0.0 FINAL!)

    So I updated gcc32 to gcc33 and also installed samba. However the
    "Makefile" in my /usr/src/linux directory appears to be unaware of gcc33 as
    it still has "HOSTCC = gcc32" in the file. I tried editing Makefile by hand
    and just changing the 2 to a 3, but that didn't work. I also tried
    "rpm -i -force" with kernel-source-, kernel- and
    make-3.79.1-18 but although that apparently replaces the Makefile, it doesn'
    t appear to change the HOSTCC line.

    I downloaded gcc-3.3.2-6.src.rpm from fedora.redhat.com, but every time
    I try to install it I get the error:

    warning: gcc-3.3.2-6.src.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID

    any ideas greatly appreciated..

    -me

  2. Re: make dep? No, Argument list too long.

    Bill wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm having trouble with the "make dep" command. It gives me the error:
    >
    > /bin/sh: line 1: scripts/mkdep: Argument list too long
    >
    > I'm running fedora with kernel version 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl and XFree86
    > version 4.3.0-42
    >
    > I searched on the internet a bit for an answer and I've found that
    > usually I would be told to "split up the commands," but I don't know how to
    > make "make" do that. All of the basic fixes I found are at
    > http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6060 Also I found a website
    > where someone had the same problem and the fix:
    >
    > - Alejandro Mery: linux24 - mkdep: "Argument list too long" fix
    > updated stackprotector for gcc33 and 2.95
    > .cache files for mnemoc repository's 'O' packages
    > updated samba (3.0.0 FINAL!)
    >
    > So I updated gcc32 to gcc33 and also installed samba. However the
    > "Makefile" in my /usr/src/linux directory appears to be unaware of gcc33 as
    > it still has "HOSTCC = gcc32" in the file. I tried editing Makefile by hand
    > and just changing the 2 to a 3, but that didn't work. I also tried
    > "rpm -i -force" with kernel-source-, kernel- and
    > make-3.79.1-18 but although that apparently replaces the Makefile, it doesn'
    > t appear to change the HOSTCC line.
    >
    > I downloaded gcc-3.3.2-6.src.rpm from fedora.redhat.com, but every time
    > I try to install it I get the error:
    >
    > warning: gcc-3.3.2-6.src.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID
    >
    > any ideas greatly appreciated..
    >
    > -me

    Are you using /bin/bash (with /bin/sh symlink) or are you just using
    plain old /bin/sh? If so, that may solve your problem.

    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------
    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?
    big legal departments as they:
    years of harassment).

    before its too late.

    ----------------

  3. Re: make dep? No, Argument list too long.

    On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 00:56:02 -0700, Bill wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm having trouble with the "make dep" command. It gives me the error:
    >
    > /bin/sh: line 1: scripts/mkdep: Argument list too long
    >
    > I'm running fedora with kernel version 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl and XFree86
    > version 4.3.0-42
    >
    > I searched on the internet a bit for an answer and I've found that
    > usually I would be told to "split up the commands," but I don't know how to
    > make "make" do that. All of the basic fixes I found are at
    > http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6060 Also I found a website
    > where someone had the same problem and the fix:
    >
    > - Alejandro Mery: linux24 - mkdep: "Argument list too long" fix
    > updated stackprotector for gcc33 and 2.95
    > .cache files for mnemoc repository's 'O' packages
    > updated samba (3.0.0 FINAL!)
    >
    > So I updated gcc32 to gcc33 and also installed samba. However the
    > "Makefile" in my /usr/src/linux directory appears to be unaware of gcc33 as
    > it still has "HOSTCC = gcc32" in the file. I tried editing Makefile by hand
    > and just changing the 2 to a 3, but that didn't work. I also tried
    > "rpm -i -force" with kernel-source-, kernel- and
    > make-3.79.1-18 but although that apparently replaces the Makefile, it doesn'
    > t appear to change the HOSTCC line.
    >
    > I downloaded gcc-3.3.2-6.src.rpm from fedora.redhat.com, but every time
    > I try to install it I get the error:
    >
    > warning: gcc-3.3.2-6.src.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID
    >
    > any ideas greatly appreciated..

    Hmmm, let's see: You should tell us...

    1. ... which compiler you originally used to compile the
    kernel.
    2. ... the exact commands you are using to compile the kernel.
    3. ... the reason for compiling your own kernel.
    4. ... the reason for trying a compiler on the kernel that is not working
    for a kernel compile (gcc32 is explicitly for compiling RH or Fedora
    kernels. Not nice, just the way it is. Read the release-notes.).
    5. ... the reason for trying to install a SRPM instead of a binary (Note
    the "src" in the package name).

    You get the warning message from the gcc install because have haven't yet
    imported the gpg keys to verify package authenticity.

    HTH
    Andreas

  4. Re: make dep? No, Argument list too long.

    Thanks, I kind of gave up though. Completely reinstalled fedora and didn't
    run that 'up2date' automatic update thing and everything's been working fine
    since.

    -me

    newsan.2004.02.09.15.00.14.121919@gmx.de...

+ Reply to Thread