GLIBC_2.2.4 on SuSE 7.0? - Help

This is a discussion on GLIBC_2.2.4 on SuSE 7.0? - Help ; I am running SuSE 7.0 on an old Pentium I and would like to update my browser from Netscape 4.76. When I download Mozilla 1.6 and follow the instructions I get a message that I need GLIBC_2.2.4. Does anyone know ...

  1. GLIBC_2.2.4 on SuSE 7.0?

    I am running SuSE 7.0 on an old Pentium I and would like to
    update my browser from Netscape 4.76. When I download Mozilla
    1.6 and follow the instructions I get a message that I need
    GLIBC_2.2.4.

    Does anyone know where I can find this beast and if I can install

    it on SuSE 7.0?

    The folks at Mozilla claim that 1.6 runs on all SuSE distros 6.2
    and later, but my experience tells me they are incorrect.

    Thank you,

    Steve

  2. Re: GLIBC_2.2.4 on SuSE 7.0?

    Steve Farber wrote:
    > I am running SuSE 7.0 on an old Pentium I and would like to
    > update my browser from Netscape 4.76. When I download Mozilla
    > 1.6 and follow the instructions I get a message that I need
    > GLIBC_2.2.4.
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can find this beast and if I can install
    >
    > it on SuSE 7.0?
    >
    > The folks at Mozilla claim that 1.6 runs on all SuSE distros 6.2
    > and later, but my experience tells me they are incorrect.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Steve

    I don't see any claims about Mozilla 1.6 running on SuSE 6.2:
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/sysreq.html

    However, it can be done (as with most things in Linux). Just satisfy the
    top three requirements:
    > Linux kernel - 2.2.14 with the following libraries or packages minimums:
    > * # glibc 2.2.4
    > * gtk+ - 1.2.0 ( 1.2.5 or greater preferred)
    > * XFree86-3.3.6

    You can fid out what glibc version you have by running:
    /lib/libc.so.6
    at a command prompt.

    Unfortunately, it appears as if glibc 2.2.4 only appears in SuSE 7.3 or
    later, so it looks like you might have to compile it from source:
    http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/glibc.html

    --
    Ben M.

    What are Software Patents for?