window manager + kde suggestions - Help

This is a discussion on window manager + kde suggestions - Help ; I've got the latest version of kde from source and i'm running a debian machine--the window managers below are installed from debian packages. My problem is finding a window manager that works well with kde. to get going i do ...

  1. window manager + kde suggestions

    I've got the latest version of kde from source and i'm running a debian
    machine--the window managers below are installed from debian packages.

    My problem is finding a window manager that works well with kde. to get
    going i do this:

    1. startx
    this starts up sawfish
    2. open a terminal and nohup startkde 2>/dev/null 1>/dev/null &
    this starts kde and i can now close the terminal window without worry

    now, what happens is kde starts up fine but there are no icons on the kde
    desktop (such as trash bin, etc).

    so i try a different window manager--icewm.
    1. startx
    2. startkde "" ""

    but this time, kicker (the kde panel) and the kde desktop exist in their own
    windows, so when i click on the desktop, it comes in front of kicker and
    thus makes the panel inaccessible without first moving the kde desktop
    WINDOW. this is both unintuitive and troublesome. YET, the desktop items
    exist.

    so then i do this:
    1. startx
    2. startkde "" ""
    3. in icewm menu, i change the window manager to sawfish.

    for some reason, when it switches over, kde is as it should be (the desktop
    and kicker are not actually windows) AND the icons are on the desktop.

    but this is an absurd amount of trouble. so, i'm looking for two things:
    1. an explanation so i can understand how to fix these problems myself in
    the future
    2. a recommedation. since the effects seem to change from window manager
    to window manager, can somebody recommend a window manager that works right
    with kde?

    Thanks ahead of time~

    --josh

    --
    p.s. To email me, remove the phrase FOOBAR from my email.

    To Run Fast, You Must Run Fast.
    -- http://www.MyRunning.com --

  2. Re: window manager + kde suggestions

    "Joshua Forester" wrote in message

    > My problem is finding a window manager that works well with kde. to get
    > going i do this:
    >
    > 1. startx
    > this starts up sawfish
    > 2. open a terminal and nohup startkde 2>/dev/null 1>/dev/null &
    > this starts kde and i can now close the terminal window without worry
    >
    > now, what happens is kde starts up fine but there are no icons on the kde
    > desktop (such as trash bin, etc).

    [...]

    Your problem is that you start with a window manager at all. KDE wants to
    run its own thing which will conflict with what you're trying to start. Why
    not have KDE start up directly from startx ? Alternatively kill off the
    window manager completely once you startx by sending kill -9 where
    is the process id of the wm you're using. Then type startkde in the
    terminal (which will now no longer have window decorations).

+ Reply to Thread